Default Criminal Background Checks - How Far Back Can They Go?

I think I made a mistake...I was offered a job at Wal-Mart and I'm aware they do background criminal checks. I have a 14 or 15 year old misdemeanor retail fraud charge. I thought that they were only allowed to go back 7 to 10 years, but heard recently that they may go back further. I've been an upstanding citizen since then, and had plenty of jobs working with money, cash register, shopping for clients, etc. but I did not disclose the old misdemeanor. So, now I'm worried. Does anyone know how far they look or are allowed to look? I don't have any felonies. I really need this job. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in Michigan.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: How far back do they go?

Depends on position you applied for. If its just low level store position then it doubtful they will spend the extra money to go past 7 or 10 years.

Default Re: How far back can they go?

Was the question about misdemeanors/arrests asked on the application and without a time limit. If so, you should have answered the question truthfully. If they happen to do a background check & develop it, cos. sometimes deny employment because of lying on the application where if the truth was told, they would have hired you especially if the misdemeanor was some time ago. It's hard to say exactly how far back they will go on a background check.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: How far back can they go?

The further back the background check goes the more the cost. That being said the standard background check for a most general positions is 7 to 10 years. Your job application (as stated) should have gave a time frame for your answer if not don't lie! I have seen background checks on persons I have hired and depending on crime and/or how long ago I will still hire them.

Default Re: Criminal Background Checks - How Far Back Can They Go?

They CAN go back to see what grade you got in building blocks and fingerpainting in kindergarten if they want to. Depending on state law and whether or not they do their own checks or hire a third party to do so, they may be limited in what information they can legally use to make a hiring decision.

Default Re: Criminal Background Checks - How Far Back Can They Go?

Well, there was no time limit. the position they offered me is for a part time cashier. since it was so long ago, I kinda forgot about it. I think I'm screwed. Perhaps if it is brought up, the only thing I can do is say that since it happened so long ago I didn't remember...I was little more than a kid. stupid stupid stupid

1. Sponsored Links