Default Can You Expunge a Felony or Get It Reduced to a Misdemeanor

Hi, I saw the other threads relating to purging felonies. It appears North Carolina law does not allow for it in any cases, if you were over 21 at conviction.

How about having a felony reduced to a misdemeanor? Can that be done?

I have worked in local government in a position of trust for more than 10 years, and now have a job as a civilian working in law enforcement. Having the felony go away would be nice.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Thanks,

Default Re: Can You Expunge a Felony or Get It Reduced to a Misdemeanor

I don't believe that there is a mechanism for that. Check with a local criminal defense lawyer.

Hi,

Can a felony record be sealed then?

BTW, I have heard that felonies over age 21 are being purged in NC but it is for the privledged few that know people. You have to initiate it in the county it originated by knowing the right people.

I don't know what the felony was for but NC adult felony conviction - no, not likely. (only possibly when charges dismissed or you were found not guilty) The governor can/will sometimes pardon a crime - however, even then it doesn't expunge/erase the criminal record.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

It was a white collar, non violent crime when I was 24 years old, 16 years ago. Felony possession of stolen goods.

There is a bill in NC pending that may help someone like me but the AOC may be against it because it would "open up the flood gates".

I hear I can file a 'motion for appropriate relief' which reopens the case, but that may be a tall order.

1. Sponsored Links