I got into an accident last night in a grocery store parking lot in California. I was backing out of my spot, the second to last spot in the row, and a woman came around the corner behind me and we collided. my left rear bumper went into her front left fender, giving her a significant dent but no damage at all to my car. I honestly do not know who hit who, but I was looking backwards and did not see her basically until we collided. there was a car in the last spot that limited visibility.
1. can I prove that she came around the corner too fast because she was unable to see me in time? she didn't honk or swerve to miss me.
2. I know that the person backing up is usually at fault, but when I started backing up no one was in the row behind me. since I was halfway into the lane before she entered it, does that mean she is at fault for not yielding to me?
3. she did not have her insurance card with her at the time. she took my insurance information. we swapped phone numbers and she said she will call me when she finds her insurance card. does this even matter if it turns out she really does have insurance?
4. who really is at fault here? is it shared?
5. what should I do right now??? as of now I am waiting for her to call me with her information. should I call her if she doesnt call soon? should I call my insurance company to tell them what happened? should I just do nothing and wait, since I have no damage to my car?
I found an aerial image of the parking lot and put together all the details in a diagram so it would be easier to understand what happened:
thank you very much in advance for any advice you can lend!