Exclamation Damage To Property By Arpin Van Lines

Ref: PA06-66953 from Temecula, CA to Columbia, SC. Arpin Van Lines

This complaint deals with Arpin Van Lines where we had over 54 items damage by our mover and the poor customer service on their part to mitigate their fiscal loss. It should be understood initially that the mover did under estimate both our packing and also our weight. The local moving company owner did this estimate personally. We had two packers show up to pack and once they ran out of supplies they began to bulk item together and also not pad rap many items (Collectables, antiques, computers and more ect). The packers told me that this was due to the owner under estimating the guaranteed price he gave us.

I’ve had on going problems with Paul Arpin Van Lines (Customer Service, Claims, Supervisors and the Department Manager) to try and settle damages to our belongings. We’ve made numerous contacts and left countless voicemails that remained unreturned by all of the above.

Finally after yelling out of frustration at the claims department they faxed over the claims forms. We received our belongings on 12/14/2006 and filed a claim on 1/7/2007. After making several more contacts to (Arpin Van Line Claims Supervisor Rosemary) the company sent out a repair/ firm to estimate cost to repair or replace our damaged goods.

After even more calls to (Arpin Claims Representatives, Supervisors and Managers) the claim began to move after many excuses as to the file being lost or that they had just that day received the file from the repair/ firm Weathersby Guild and our my representative is out sick or on vacation.

The first go around with the Arpin claims company Cathy Zanfagna at (Movers Settlement Group, Ltd.) they wanted to offer us less than $942.75 by way of a letter dated 03/23/2007 from Cathy Zanfagna. Our claim amount which we estimated a total claim value of approximately $17,472.75.

Next we received a fax on 4/13/07 for $6113.65. Arpin cites in their evaluation process that we did not complete a (Declaration items of Extraordinary Value and Firearms) therefore they will not honor all of the damage.

We told them that the driver scribbled what appears to be N/A or Z/A on form number (503) since we told him we would be moving our own firearms. So we were told to sign off on this form and that our belongings did not apply to this form as we were covered by the contract signed on 11/29/2006 and agreeing to option (1) Full replacement value protection with no deductible.

The Van Line claims that since we signed the form (503) above even though it was not completed correctly that we are not covered for any items over $1000.00 dollars. We told Arpin that this did not make sense especially since they moved 4 brand new motorcycles with a value alone near $16,000.

The form indicates in bold red words (IMPORTANT) that if you have no items of the value of $2000.00 or more than the word “None” shall be entered into the declaration portion of the form. I told Arpin this was not done; they indicated this was by the z/a or n/a scribbled in the center of the page.

I went on to tell them if they are following the form to the letter than “N/A” is not the same as “None.” (N/A) means No answer: Refers to something that has no known or available answer and (None) means no one or in no way.

I have been told by the highest manger at Arpin Van Lines Jack Hewitt on numerous occasions that he would call me back, even after I told him I was a disabled USMC veteran and sleeping on the floor waiting for this matter to resolve for many months with a destroyed bed. Jack Hewitt told me thank you for my service and pledged to call me back personally, this was the last time I heard from him.

Arpin Van Lines has refused to settle and fix all items damaged as they hover around this (503) document that was not completed correctly by their driver, as they state this document supercedes that of the contract signed on 11/29/2006 that covers our articles and move.

I have even called the President of Arpin Van Lines (Dave Arpin) who has again disregarded me as a custom and claimant.

Our time and the inconveniences my family has endured has been disrespected, we have not received any type of timely responses. I would discourage anyone from using Arpin Van Lines without further investigation of this company that at the end of the day needs to mitigate loss to balance profit at any customer’s expense.

We did have a signed contract dated 11/29/2006 that states (If any article is lost, destroyed or damaged while in the movers custody that based on my selected coverage option (1) with no deductible (That Arpin would repair, restore or replace our articles). This is not what is happening.

http://protectyourmove.gov/consumer/...urance.htm#key

(1) Full Value Protection
    Under Full Value Protection, your mover is liable for the replacement value of lost or damaged goods in your entire shipment. This is the more comprehensive plan available for the protection of your belongings. Unless you select the alternative level of liability described below—Released Value—your mover will transport your shipment under the Full Value Protection level of liability. If any article is lost, destroyed or damaged while in your mover's custody, your mover will, at its discretion, offer to do one (1) of the following for each item:
    * Repair the item
    * Replace with a similar item
    * Make a cash settlement for the cost of the repair or the current market replacement value

Under this option, movers are permitted to limit their liability for loss or damage to articles of extraordinary value, unless you specifically list these articles on the shipping documents. An article of extraordinary value is any item whose value exceeds $100 per pound (i.e., jewelry, silverware, china, furs, antiques). Ask your mover for a written explanation of this limitation before your move.

The exact cost for Full Value Protection varies by mover and may be subject to various deductible levels of liability that may reduce your cost. Ask your mover for written details of their Full Value Protection plan.

We are hoping to find an attorney to take our case on a contingency bases.

Default Re: Damage To Property By Arpin Van Lines

Resources for finding a lawer in California and South Carolina.

Default Re: Damage To Property By Arpin Van Lines

Wow...you should defiantly get a lawyer...no doubt on that one!!!!! I hope that you are able to stick it to them for the damages and trouble that they have caused you and your family. If there was anything that I could do to help I would do it in a heart-beat. I'm an Afghanistan and Iraq veteran.

Regards,
    -

1. Sponsored Links