Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How To Stop Child Support In Tennessee

My husband and I are trying to close on a house. In order for us to do this his child support needs to be stopped. The ex wife of his 13 year old son is willing to stop child support as long as she receives the arearage and payment up to this July. We have absolutely no problem in doing this. The ex wife goes to the child support services in Sumner County and they told her that child support cannot be stopped unless the child turns 18, graduates or there is a custody change. This is stupid and very untrue. Is it not true that if the primary parent chooses to end child support that the forms are filled out and taken to court? Help?

Default Re: Need help really bad in Tennessee

Quote Quoting dtitans
    View Post
    My husband and I are trying to close on a house. In order for us to do this his child support needs to be stopped. The ex wife of his 13 year old son is willing to stop child support as long as she receives the arearage and payment up to this July. We have absolutely no problem in doing this. The ex wife goes to the child support services in Sumner County and they told her that child support cannot be stopped unless the child turns 18, graduates or there is a custody change. This is stupid and very untrue. Is it not true that if the primary parent chooses to end child support that the forms are filled out and taken to court? Help?
    What's missing here? What bank/mortgage company would EVER demand that the support of a child be stopped? Makes no sense.

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post
    What's missing here? What bank/mortgage company would EVER demand that the support of a child be stopped? Makes no sense.
    They wouldn't, but I would "assume" they the MTG Co. told them they won't qualify without using that income.

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post
    Let me try to explain this again. The ex wife was willing to stop child support before we even thought about getting a house. It just so happens that the loan officer said if the child support was paid off now it would help my husband's income/debt ratio.

The question is...why are we getting different stories about stopping child support?

Quote Quoting dtitans
    View Post
    Let me try to explain this again. The ex wife was willing to stop child support before we even thought about getting a house. It just so happens that the loan officer said if the child support was paid off now it would help my husband's income/debt ratio.

The question is...why are we getting different stories about stopping child support?
    Is it possible that the loan officer/underwriter wants the arrearage paid before processing a loan?

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post
    Is it possible that the loan officer/underwriter wants the arrearage paid before processing a loan?
    No...it's a debt/income ratio problem with the financing. We pay the ex $560 a month in child support. She and her husband are making real good money now and she had a talk with my husband saying she was going to drop child support as long as he helps her out with anything Ryan might need or want. It's out of the kindness of her heart that she even suggested this. The loan officer wants her to go ahead with it instead of waiting until July so we can get this loan closed.

Quote Quoting dtitans
    View Post
    No...it's a debt/income ratio problem with the financing. We pay the ex $560 a month in child support. She and her husband are making real good money now and she had a talk with my husband saying she was going to drop child support as long as he helps her out with anything Ryan might need or want. It's out of the kindness of her heart that she even suggested this. The loan officer wants her to go ahead with it instead of waiting until July so we can get this loan closed.
    Well hey, why not simply give up parental rights. Think about this. You're riding your horse into a loan which most likely has terms much longer than the remaining child support. A mortgage won't be as easy to dump.

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post
    Well hey, why not simply give up parental rights. Think about this. You're riding your horse into a loan which most likely has terms much longer than the remaining child support. A mortgage won't be as easy to dump.
    that will never happen. I've searched everywhere I know to search to find out what has to be done to stop child support and this was my last resort. I guess I'll have to call a few attorneys tomorrow.

Generally, a parent doesn't have the right to waive the CHILD'S money. I would think that a step parent adoption and TPR would be the way to go... I guess I find it weird that this is an actual conversation... getting rid of the child support to buy a house?? I have officially heard it all.

Quote Quoting CaliforniaMom
    View Post
    Generally, a parent doesn't have the right to waive the CHILD'S money. I would think that a step parent adoption and TPR would be the way to go... I guess I find it weird that this is an actual conversation... getting rid of the child support to buy a house?? I have officially heard it all.
    See? You guys are totally missing the point. She wanted to drop child support before we even decided to buy a house. Her and her husband are making 6 figures and she knows we struggle around here. The conversation held between her and my husband was she would drop the child support as long as my husbands helps her out with the child's extra activities and such. The house came up, which is my husband's grandmother's house. My husband told the loan officer that she was dropping child support in July. The loan officer asked if it could be done quicker because of his debt/income ratio is keeping us from closing the loan. She agreed. Now we don't know how to do it. Don't make it look like we aren't paying for a child to buy a house. That's not it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast