I now reside in Alberta, Canada, but was raised in Montreal

Default Emancipation Law in Alberta, Canada

I am not sure if you can help me or if you know enough of the laws for the province of Alberta in Canada?

I just have some questions regarding my own situation.
    I will be 17 next month and am wanting to become an emancipated minor.

I left home at 12 years old, due to the emotional,verbal and physical abuse perpetrated on my person by my mother and her then boyfriends.

(Ex:at age 7 was forced to consume large amounts of alcohol as a form of punishment and as a result by the age of ten I was a full blown alcoholic along with suffering from severe depression and I literally had stopped talking.)

I lived on the streets of Montreal for over 2 years.

I found my way out west to Alberta and have been here since I was 15.

I have been clean and sober since Feb of 04 and living in a home for recovering addicted teens. I have had no contact with my mother since I left my own home.

However, she has found me and is trying to have me relocated to Montreal where I was raised. I refuse to leave Alberta. My guardian is in the process of trying to find out my legal rights.

I will never go back into her care. She caused me so much pain and suffering that for me to return to that "home" would only set me back years I am sure. Plus I am graduating this year and I have already enrolled in a college program for next fall. I have followed my program and even though I did relapse once, (right in the beginning of my recovery process) it is not something I want to happen again.
    My fear is if I am placed back into that environment I will relapse and that scares me more than anything.

As well, it has been brought to my attention that my mother has spent the last two years in prison for physical assault on another young girl..supposedly her girlfriend.

Do you have any advice that may help me in my endeavors to become an emancipated minor??

Default Re: Emancipation Law in Alberta, Canada

Do you have a full-time job and are you supporting yourself 100%?

I have never seen anybody present authority on a formal emancipation process for Canada. The usual representation is that in Canada you can set up an independent household when you are 16, without going through an emancipation process. An issue in your case appears to be that you are not presently capable of supporting yourself independently.

Your assumption is correct. Until I finish the treatment program set up for me by the Crisis Youth Mental Health team I am actually a ward of the system. Until I graduate from High School I still fall under their care, if I understand the legalities correctly.
    My AC(addictions councilor) is trying to see if there is anything the team might be able to do to help me out.

However, my guardian was told today that my biological mother could still try and have me returned to Quebec as she is trying to call me a "runaway".

I left home at 12 and she didn't even write a missing persons report on me. Now she calls me a runaway???

I don't get it?? I guess i am just confused as to the implications of the wording being used. At 12 I was a runaway, but at 17 would I still be considered one??

I am not sure of the Quebec laws either, whether there could be some clause I am unaware of??

You're living in Alberta, so you should be able to avail yourself of any remedies permitted under Alberta law.

My guardian has received legal advice regarding my case. As it stands my mother can not force me to leave the province of Alberta. Our laywers have sent documents that detail abuse from a very early age, therefore denying her access to me and as I am under the guardianship of the province until I finish the Addictions program(voluntary program)and due to my age, I have a choice as to where I want to live.

However, our lawyers are still in favor of me applying to the courts for emanciaption in order to protect my rights, though a decision has not been made to follow through with this advice. At this point it is a personal decision and I am still in the process of talking to our legal council to determine if it would be in my best interest to do so in case of further intimidation by my mother.

I just want to thank you for your comments regarding this issue.

1. Sponsored Links