Default Emancipation in Colorado

i am 16 years old and am looking into getting emancipated. i know that colorado does not have an actual process for doing so. my mother has already given full consent for me to do so. i wanted to make sure that my father does not also have to consent. he does not live in the state and does not have custody of me. my biggest concern is with my boyfriend. my mother (and his) approve of our relationship and i was wondering... if i am emancipated, does that apply to our relationship as well or would it still be considered illegal? what i don't understand (if the answer is no) is how it is legal for parents to consent to marriage, making our relationship legal, but emancipation not making it legal... any information you can give me would be much appreciated. thanks.

Default Re: emancipation in colorado

As you noted, CO does not have statutes for emancipation of a minor. The state does recognize emancipation, but there is no process for you to file for it. So, that said, there is nothing for either parent to consent to.

In order to get married, you will have to have parental consent from both parents. Just because you father does not have custody, that does not mean that his parental rights have been terminated.

You don't say how old your boyfriend is, but as you state it is illegal, I advise you to be very, very careful.

Even if emancipation were an option, legal emancipation does not allow a minor (in most states) to do anything that is statutorily prohibited due to your age. Legal emancipation does not allow (again in most states) the minor to marry without a court order, drink or purchase alcohol, own a firearm, vote, etc.

Default Re: Emancipation in Colorado

my boyfriend just turned 19. i'm not sure what the law is exactly in colorado. i have talked to someone from social services when we were having some family issues and he was mentioned. (he had nothing to do with the issues). she never said anything about it being illegal, she only asked my mom is she approved and left it at that. i've heard that if you have parental consent, it is ok, but i do not know if this is true.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Emancipation in Colorado

Lets put it simply will your parents consent to your marrying or living with your 19 year old BF? If answer is no then your dead in the water!

1. Sponsored Links