Unhappy Moving Out in North Carolina

Okay, heres the deal. I'm 16 and I'll be 17 in May. I recently had a child and my parent won't let the father stay over to help me with the baby...I want to know if there is any way i can possible move out..or get empancipated in north carolina...can you please give me any info on that..thanks

Default Re: Help..i wanna get out

Quote Quoting MamaNikki32207
    View Post
    Okay, heres the deal. I'm 16 and I'll be 17 in May. I recently had a child and my parent won't let the father stay over to help me with the baby...I want to know if there is any way i can possible move out..or get empancipated in north carolina...can you please give me any info on that..thanks
    Parents not letting their MINOR daughters boyfriend stay the night is NOT grounds for emancipation. As a matter of fact, if your parents were to allow it, that may cause CPS to get involved in their lives!

How would you expect to financially care for your child and yourself if you WERE emancipated? Do you have a job that pays enough to COMPLETELY take care of your rent, medical, food, cloths, electricity, heat, transportation...ect...PLUS be able to finish high school?

Not to mention that one major requirement for legal emancipation is a demonstration and track record of making sound decisions and maturity. Becoming a mother at your age does not lend itself to that perception.

NO judge will grant legal emancipation to a minor so that she can be with her boyfriend. If you are worried that the baby's father is not getting to spend enough time with the baby, you can always allow him to have custody of the baby.

Its not so I can spend time with my boyfriend...Its a lot of things going on & I just can't handle it all...Also I do have a job and will be able to pay for everything..I've already figured that out..im not that stupid..yea i may be only 16 but i am a lot more mature than a lot of adults i know..i know what i have to do for my child and im trying to do it...i asked for your help not your criticism

Quote Quoting MamaNikki32207
    View Post
    ...i asked for your help not your criticism....

They did give you their help.

The advice was correct.

Its not so I can spend time with my boyfriend
    Not according to your original post....
    Its a lot of things going on & I just can't handle it all
    Welcome to motherhood. It is stressful for ALL new mothers, whether they are 16 or 45. As I said, if you can't handle it, I suggest you look into other custody arrangments for your child. You are very young and have added obstacles to overcome. It can be done, but it's not going to be easy
    Also I do have a job and will be able to pay for everything..I've already figured that out
    No, that's not good enough. You have to show a court that you are ALREADY fully supporting yourself. A plan or idea of how you are going to support yoursely won't get it.
    ..im not that stupid..
    Nobody said you were. Where did any of us say you were stupid? You made some poor choices.
    yea i may be only 16 but i am a lot more mature than a lot of adults i know
    That's not saying much..
    i know what i have to do for my child and im trying to do it
    Good, then get on it. That still doesn't mean that your boyfriend has any right to spend the night with you. You have already shown your mother that you and your boyfriend cannot be trusted to be left alone when ya'll are in proximity to a flat surface. She is trying to prevent a second grandchild. More power to her....
    i asked for your help not your criticism
    You get what you pay for.

Default Re: Moving Out in North Carolina

North Carolina Emancipation Law provides:
    Quote Quoting North Carolina Emancipation
    § 7B‑3500. Who may petition.

Any juvenile who is 16 years of age or older and who has resided in the same county in North Carolina or on federal territory within the boundaries of North Carolina for six months next preceding the filing of the petition may petition the court in that county for a judicial decree of emancipation.

§ 7B-3504. Considerations for emancipation.

In determining the best interests of the petitioner and the need for emancipation, the court shall review the following considerations:
    (1) The parental need for the earnings of the petitioner;

(2) The petitioner's ability to function as an adult;

(3) The petitioner's need to contract as an adult or to marry;

(4) The employment status of the petitioner and the stability of the petitioner's living arrangements;

(5) The extent of family discord which may threaten reconciliation of the petitioner with the petitioner's family;

(6) The petitioner's rejection of parental supervision or support; and

(7) The quality of parental supervision or support.

§ 7B-3505. Final decree of emancipation.
    After reviewing the considerations for emancipation, the court may enter a decree of emancipation if the court determines:
    (1) That all parties are properly before the court or were duly served and failed to appear and that time for filing an answer has expired;

(2) That the petitioner has shown a proper and lawful plan for adequately providing for the petitioner's needs and living expenses;

(3) That the petitioner is knowingly seeking emancipation and fully understands the ramifications of the act; and

(4) That emancipation is in the best interests of the petitioner.
    The decree shall set out the court's findings.

If the court determines that the criteria in subdivisions (1) through (4) are not met, the court shall order the proceeding dismissed.
    You need to look at those factors, and figure out how you could convince a court that you are a suitable candidate for emancipation.

1. Sponsored Links