Default Birth Certificate and Paternity Rights in New York

Im not married to the father of my baby. It is likely he will not be in the country when the baby is born. Can you tell me what has to be done if he is not here to sign the birth cert documents?

Also what automatic rights does he have as biological father?

Default Re: NY State Birth Cert- Paternity question

He has no automatic rights since you are not married, as marriage creates a presumption of paternity of your child. Until paternity is established after the baby is born, he has no legal rights to visitation, custody or any obligation for payment of child support. However, if you wish to seek child support, you will have to retain an attorney to assist you after the baby is born. It will be complicated, if not impossible, to establish paternity and support if he is a resident of another country.

Default Re: Birth Certificate and Paternity Rights in New York

How can I go about establishing paternity and getting child support from him if he is in another country?

Also, without the acknowledgement of paternity signed does the father's name on the birth cert come back blank?

If no father is reported to the state, the father's name should be blank on the birth certificate.

You are given a birth cert worksheet in the hospital to fill out. It asks for your name and the fathers name. It also asks if an affadavit of paternity is being submitted with it.

If you fill out the father's information but no affadavit is submitted does the birth cert come back with a name on it or does it come back blank.

I should also add there is a line for the father's signature as well as the mother's signature on the worksheet.

1. Sponsored Links