Default Warrant Issued But I Never Received Court Date In The Mail

So I went to court for a driving on suspended ticket on 3/27. I spoke to the prosecutor, he told me to go home because he didn't have any information on my case yet.

So today I get a notice that there is a warrant for my arrest for failure to appear in court. I never received any type of notice for my new court date as of yet, only this notice telling me that theres a warrant. I called the police station and she said there was court on 4/3 and 4/10, and I most likely was scheduled for 4/10, but never received a notice in the mail.

What can I do here?? They put up a $650 bail for me and I really never even knew about the date! I never received any such information in the mail at all. I've kept all my notices up to this point (the original date and the warrant notice).

I know lots of people probably use this excuse, but I honestly had no idea. What can I say to help me have my court date adjusted and this warrant dropped?? Do they actually have any physical proof that a notice was sent? The notices are sent standard mail, no signature, registered mail, etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Default Re: Warrant Issued - I never received court date in mail, only warrant notice!!

I called them and they told me to write a letter to the judge. So I did, we'll see what happens..

Default Re: Warrant Issued - I never received court date in mail, only warrant notice!!

Who is "them"?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Who is "them"?
    And a letter to the judge is a big no-no....

Default Re: Warrant Issued But I Never Received Court Date In The Mail

By "them" I was reffering to the court. I spoke to the court clerk and she advised me to write a letter to the judge. You say that is a big "no-no" then what exactly is the proper process?? Turn myself in and pay $650 that I don't have, not to mention the fact that I will be forfeiting my $457 previous bond!?

What do I do then??

A letter to the court asking that your case be reopened is proper procedure. The reason being that you were never notified of a new court date.

Well whoever said writing a letter was a big "no-no" obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

The court clerk called me today and notified me that the judge had withdrawn the warrant, and rescheduled a new date for me! Guess my letter went very far. Thanks for the heads up everybody.

Quote Quoting gsxxxtc
    View Post
    Well whoever said writing a letter was a big "no-no" obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

The court clerk called me today and notified me that the judge had withdrawn the warrant, and rescheduled a new date for me! Guess my letter went very far. Thanks for the heads up everybody.
    And of course you sent a copy of that letter to the prosecutor, right?

No, I didn't send one to the prosecutor. Obviously no need, the judge supercedes him.

Quote Quoting gsxxxtc
    View Post
    No, I didn't send one to the prosecutor. Obviously no need, the judge supercedes him.
    Glad you got it straightened out....

1. Sponsored Links