1. I'm renting a house in California - first lease ended 10/31/06.
2. My intention was to have a 1 year lease with an option to renew for another year.
3. Landlord wanted to make the first lease only 10 months, so it would be easier to re-rent if I didn't extend (so as to not end during the holidays), with an Option to Renew for another 12 months after that.
4. The following is the section in my lease:
OPTION TO RENEW LEASE AGREEMENT. The Lessee may request for renewal of the lease agreement in writing for a further 12 month period at least 60 days prior to the expiration of this agreement.
5. I mailed the Option to Renew letter to the landlord as per above. My letter in part stated "my lease is now extended through 10/31/07". He e-mailed me that he received my letter.
6. About 1 month later he e-mailed that he was reluctant to enter into another 12 month lease (I think because he wanted to sell the house), but he would prefer to go month to month and if I agree to that he wouldn't raise my rent for 6 months.
7. My reply to his e-mail was that I didn't want to go month to month, and I just want to extend it for 12 months and it therefore it ends 10/31/07.
8. He didn't reply to that e-mail.
9. Now, about 8 months later, he is saying we don't have a valid lease agreement and he wants me out by July 1.
Is my Option to Renew letter valid to extend my lease to 10/31/07? Or did we BOTH need to sign a new lease?
Any options you think I have at this point?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help!