Hybrid View

Default Regaining Custody Because of School and Grades

A few years ago my son decided that he didn't like the rules he had to live with at my house and decided to go live with his dad - by way of telling his dad I "beat" him. Child services didn't even investigate the lies they just gave my ex custody which gave him the right to remove him from the school he was attending and enroll him in the school in his district. My son has not done well ever since and half way through this school year my ex pulled him out of that school and enrolled him in a christian school that I have found out is not "accredited" by the state. I'm not sure what this means. Right now my son is flunking all of his classes. My son realized he made a mistake almost immediately but has had to live there. I just want to salvage some of his education before his dad totally screws it up for him! Does anyone have any advice? And does anyone know what a non-accredited school is?

Default Re: Regaining Custody Because of School and Grades

A non-accredited school is a school that has not been accredited by the state. In simple terms, it has not been certified to meet minimum state standards.

What state do you live in? What state does the child live in? What state issued the most recent custody decree? Is CPS still involved in any way?

Default How To Regain Custody

A few years ago my son decided he didn't like the rules at my house and decided to go live with his dad by way of telling him I "beat" him. Child services didn't even investigate the lies (All I got a phone call from some woman asking me "if my other kids were ok"! My husband and I have 4 other children between us.) they just gave my ex custody. Since then my son has realized his mistake and wants to move back home however I can't afford (yet another) attorney but want to know if anyone out there can give me any advice. In the middle of this school year my ex pulled him out of the public school he was enrolled at and placed him in a non-credited christian school and is currently receiving F's in English, Science and History. My son is willing to tell everyone and anyone that will listen to him that he lied but I need to know if his grades are enough for me to try to fight for it. If it helps, I live in Ohio.

Default Re: How To Regain Custody

The short answer is, go to the court which issued the custody order and petition for it to be changed to give you custody.

Thank you!!!!!

Do I have to do this through an attorney or can I get the paperwork through the library like contempt of court paperwork?

Given the background you describe, I would suggest using a lawyer. But if you want to do it yourself and can figure out how, you can do it yourself.

1. Sponsored Links