Default Felony Warrant for No child support

Hello, I just found this site minutes ago, I was just informed this morning about a Felony Warrant for my arrest for non payment of child support through the Attorney Generals office in the state of Michigan(where the custodial parent resides). I live in the state of Arizona and since 2002 (about a year since Friends of the court had set my/our support order. There is a very long story (like all) However, I will get to the point of my post...The payments for support has stopped in July of 2006(employer had closed my office of employment) Hence, i have not been able to send the designated payments as well as the arrears. Last weekend, I had talked to the custodial parent (ex) and we/she agreed that if I were to Terminate/Relinquish my parental rights in legal writing, that she would abolish any support due and in arrears. ( this is what prompted me to contact friends of the court to get information) After a list of phone calls were made today, I found out that there was the Felony Warrant(interstate). Hours ago, I spoke to my ex and explained what I had discovered and she said she would be willing to contact the necessary offices to let them know of our agreement(s).

My question(s) are :

1) Will the Attorney Generals office allow my ex to give them verbal/written information that we are working outside the court to Terminate my rights to parenting and her waiving all support and arrears due. And will they sieze the Felony Warrant knowing that we are working together to remedy?

2) What legal documents do I(we) need to have created legally to facilitate to 1) getting both of our considerations met and recorded and 2) satisfying the Attorney generals office to drop the felony warrant ?

3) Will I get a knock at the door from authorities at any time because of this Warrant ?

Any additional and all replies are greatly appreciated!

Needing help!!!

Max

Default Re: Felony Warrant for No child support

Okay, no responses?!?!?

I would really appreciate some feedback from the above post!

Quote Quoting maxlor88
    View Post
    Okay, no responses?!?!?

I would really appreciate some feedback from the above post!
    Why would your ex agree to a TPR? Does she have a husband that wants to adopt your child? Do you have a relationship with your child? How old is the child? Has your ex ever been on state aide?

Thanks for the reply baystategirl,

Answering your questions,

1) Why would your ex agree to a TPR?

My ex has agreed to the TPR, as her only concern ever has been that I would come into the childrens lives at some unknown/unexpected time and make certain demands(this never/will never happen) to intervene in their lives or demand other parental rights. She really just wants me completely(legally) stricken of all parental rights.

2) Do you have a relationship with your child?

No, since moving back to the west back in 2002 there has been no relationship with the children.

3) How old is the child?

There are 2 children in this matter, 14 and 11.

4) Has your ex ever been on state aid?

She has not. This was confirmed yesterday with the Friends of the Court, and that all support and arrears were owed to the custodial parent only. They also confirmed that there was zero state aid administered to her. This was the agency that told me that I had a Felony Warrant as well.

Baystategirl, I appreciate the Q's, please give me your .02 on The felony warrant i.e. what should I do???

Why do you and your ex- believe a court would grant a termination of parental rights, outside of a circumstance such as step-parent adoption?

Why do you and your ex- believe a court would grant a termination of parental rights, outside of a circumstance such as step-parent adoption?

I don't believe or know if in fact they(court) would grant the TPR's, It is just the steps to what we both agreed upon to each other (I have advised legal council, but the paperwork has not been completed yet) However, I am concerned now you have mentioned this. Are you asserting that the courts would not allow the TPR outside of the court? And, if we did have affadavits acknowledged by both parties and notarized etc...wouldn't it still be up to the custodial parent to choose and elect to have current support and arrearages exhonerated/abolished? And based on her demands?

I Appreciate the replies!

You have to have legal grounds for the termination of parental rights. "We agreed" isn't enough.

Aaron - appreciate your replies. Can you please give me some examples of legal grounds for a relinquishing parental rights?

The laws are designed for the best interest of the children. Typically, courts will agree to TPR of a father when there is a stepfather or other man willing to adopt the children......but even then it must be in the child(s)' best interest to do so. The fact that you have simply abandoned your children is probably not sufficient, even when the mother agrees. Imagine if the children's mother were to die or otherwise become unable to care for the children, then your agreement to TPR would "orphan" the children. If you are still "on the hook" as legal father, then, even if you did not obtain custody of the children, at least you could still be held responsible for child support payable to any guardian assigned to care for the children or as reimbursement to the state for foster care.

Here's a summary of Michigan's termination of parental rights laws. You should also be aware that a Michigan judge can terminate your parental rights while continuing your obligation to pay child support.

1. Sponsored Links