Default New Charge While On Probation

A few weeks ago I was arrested for criminal trespassing and obstruction (both misdemeanors) and at court it was dropped to a disorderly conduct. I was fined $750 plus court costs and everything so its about $1,100 total. I was also placed on one year probation. However, if I pay off the fine I get off probation as soon as its paid off. A few days ago I got arrested for writing graffiti and was charged with Felony Criminal Destruction of Property 1st degree. I was released on bond but they never mentioned my probation or anything. I'm really worried about violationg probation with a felony. Am i at risk at seeing jail time here? Before a few weeks ago my record was clean. I have not been charged with the violation yet but im worried about walking into the probation office this week and getting arrested right away. What should I do? Do you think I'll be going to jail or just fined and more probation or a suspended sentence or something? I am a good kid just made some mistakes. I mean, these arent violent crimes and I have never done any drugs or anything. I'm really nervous here. This is also in Savannah, Georgia. HELP!!!!

Default Re: New Charge While On Probation

If it were me I would pay off the fines on the original charge today, and hope that they closed out my file before the new charge came to their attention, or in the alternative decided that under the circumstances it wasn't worth pursuing a probation violation.

Get a lawyer. If I were your judge and saw this history - a new, more serious offense within weeks of your being given a good plea bargain and being placed on probation, I would very much be thinking of putting you in jail.

Q: Am i at risk at seeing jail time here?

A: Yes, because your probation included a condition that you don't have any law enforcement contacts and you violated that condition.

Ok, so I am going to pay this fine ASAP before court. How much of a difference will this make? Also, I have NOT been charged with violating probation. Is there a chance this can slip through the cracks and never get charged?

Q: Ok, so I am going to pay this fine ASAP before court. How much of a difference will this make?

A: That will certainly make you look better in the eyes of the judge.

Q: Also, I have NOT been charged with violating probation. Is there a chance this can slip through the cracks and never get charged?

A: Anything can happen. But don't count on it. You have reported this violation to your probation officer, haven't you? If not, you'd better do it today.

No, I have not reported my being arrested to my probation officer and I'm pretty sure I don't need to. I dont have to go in there and tell her I violated probation. I really havent had the chance to see her, my next meeting with her is scheduled for Thursday but I am going in tommorow morning to pay off my whole fine and get off probation before I get to court.

Quote Quoting djs401310
    View Post
    No, I have not reported my being arrested to my probation officer and I'm pretty sure I don't need to. I dont have to go in there and tell her I violated probation. I really havent had the chance to see her, my next meeting with her is scheduled for Thursday but I am going in tommorow morning to pay off my whole fine and get off probation before I get to court.
    You have 2 days from time of arrest to report to your PO, failure to do so is another violation...

And the fact remains that you WERE on probation when you were arrested. They can still violate you for it....

Quote Quoting Baystategirl
    View Post
    You have 2 days from time of arrest to report to your PO, failure to do so is another violation...

And the fact remains that you WERE on probation when you were arrested. They can still violate you for it....
    I believe this is not the case in the state I am in. I have my Conditions of Probation form and have read it thoroughly and it does NOT have that down on the form (About reporting two days after an arrest). Also when i was in custody, probation was never mentioned AT ALL to me from anybody.

1. Sponsored Links