Default Eviction with No Written Lease in Pennsylvania

A guy moved in with me that I met in a crisis center. He had no place to go and I was a fool, but I needed help paying my mortgage. The guy was suppose to pay me $400.00 a month. there is no written lease only verbal. He moved in the beginning of Nov 2006. Went to jail the day after Thanksgiving, returned right before Xmas, then back to jail in beginning of Jan 2007 and he is still there and it is March 16, 2007. He only paid me once and not even $400.00. He had a Welfare access card which he allowed me to purchase food on a couple of times but no where near $400.00. I have no idea when he will get out of jail but I don't want him back into my house. I sent him a letter on Mar 9th and told him I didn't want him to come back here that it wasn't working out. I told him he needed to find another place to stay and that I was getting a new tenant. He sent me a letter back begging me to stay. When this guy moved in I didn't know he was a crack cocaine addict and a mental patient. He is in jail for violating a PFA against his old girlfriend 46x's. I didn't know about any of this until he went to jail. I guess I felt sorry for him and I know feel like and idiot for letting this nutbag move in. He only has trash bags with his suits in them, and a box of papers. He is an suspended attorney in PA so I know I have to follow the law or this jerk will sue me.

Does my letter sent to the prison on March 9th serve as an eviction notice or do I need to give him a specific time frame, like say 15 days? What does PA laws say about this type of eviction? If I send him notice at the jail is that enough? I'm not hand delivering it that is for sure. I haven't seen him since January when he went to jail. What can I do with his belongings? I think he will be in jail for a while and I'd like to get a new tenant and don't want to store his stuff cause I don't want him anywhere near me. He has no friends and his family has disowned him. Thanks.

Default Re: NO LEASE EVICTION Pennsylvania

There's a guide to Pennsylvania residential evictions here.

Is this a home you own, or a house or apartment you rent?

Default Re: Eviction with No Written Lease in Pennsylvania

I own the home, that is why I have a mortgage.

Ooh, such a clever comment. Given how clever you are, I'm sure you can figure this out for yourself from here.

panther10758 Guest

You shot yourself in the foot on that one!

I should have known better to post on this site. I clearly stated I needed a tenant to move in so I could pay my mortgage. One doesn't usually have a mortgage if they are just a tenant. One thing that bothers me is you make a post to my comment without obviously reading my post. Don't need your advice anyway as I researched it on my own and found the PA law on it. By the way Mr. Knowit, your name implies that you are a smacked ass and you proved to be just that.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Ooh, such a clever comment. Given how clever you are, I'm sure you can figure this out for yourself from here.
    He clearly stated he had a mortgage in the second line of his first post.

A guy moved in with me that I met in a crisis center. He had no place to go and I was a fool, but I needed help paying my mortgage.

Thanks Babygirl. I'm glad you see my point. Everyone should read the post completely and re-read it if they don't understand it before they give their opinion or advice.

Quote Quoting csmhnv
    View Post
    Thanks Babygirl. I'm glad you see my point. Everyone should read the post completely and re-read it if they don't understand it before they give their opinion or advice.
    Babygirl??...Uhh...Call me Bay...

And You're Welcome....

There's not one person here who has answered an appreciable number of questions who hasn't overlooked a word or phrase in a block of text.

Nobody has to answer a question if the reward they get for trying to help is an impolite response. And as was previously indicated, nobody who responds to an inquiry which is obviously a prelude to an answer should expect more if they choose to be impolite. Do you really not get that?

Nothing is stopping you from answering. Please, go right ahead.

1. Sponsored Links