Unhappy Caught Shoplifting - What Will Happen?

I am a 22 yr old full time college student. I am very passionate about my studies and made a very bad choice with a very bad friend. (no longer friend of course) I got caught shoplifting from macys, i think about 40 dollars worth. No backround at all, not even a speeding ticket. My court date is in 3 weeks. I am not so much nervous about court as this....my current place of employment (a preschool teacher) did a current backround check and questioned me and asked what it was. I was embarassed...so I lied and said it was for something other than retail fraud. I do not think they knew, tnhey just knew I was fingerprinted. So i have 2 questions.
    1. I am hoping for probation. If so, how long does this stay on my record?
    2. I am student teaching in a little over a year from now. I am positive they do backround checks. Will this show up? I cannot let this one stupid decision affect my dreams and my goals of becoming a teacher.

PLEASE HELP ME! I cannot lose my job either. I am willing to be on probation, pay money, and do community service. How long until this is off my record.

And also, if something DOES come up on a backround check, does it say EXACTLY what i did? I am so nervous, please help me if you can.
    Thanks

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: please help! what will happen?

I am a 22 yr old full time college student. I am very passionate about my studies and made a very bad choice with a very bad friend.Your 22 you cant blame your friends for your choices (no longer friend of course) I got caught shoplifting from macys, i think about 40 dollars worth. No backround at all, not even a speeding ticket. My court date is in 3 weeks. I am not so much nervous about court as this....my current place of employment (a preschool teacher) did a current backround check and questioned me and asked what it was. I was embarassed...so I lied and said it was for something other than retail fraud. I do not think they knew, tnhey just knew I was fingerprinted. So i have 2 questions.
    1. I am hoping for probation. If so, how long does this stay on my record? forever
    2. I am student teaching in a little over a year from now. I am positive they do backround checks. Will this show up?Yes I cannot let this one stupid decision affect my dreams and my goals of becoming a teacher.You are responsible for your actions

PLEASE HELP ME! I cannot lose my job either. I am willing to be on probation, pay money, and do community service. How long until this is off my record.Good cause that what your looking at. Its on your record unless expunge it will stay there

And also, if something DOES come up on a backround check, does it say EXACTLY what i did? I am so nervous, please help me if you can.Yes it should
    Consult with a criminal defense Attorney to see if diversion is an option for you. Diversion can help you avoid a conviction on your record and still meet States penalty requirements. No w this can still show up on some background checks so its not a 100% fix. You will be able to say no if asked about any convictions

Default Re: please help! what will happen?

Consult a local criminal defense lawyer about the possibility of a diversion program or deferred sentence. Such alternatives are not available in every state or county, but if they are available and you qualify you should be able to avoid a criminal conviction on you record.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting - What Will Happen?

If you get a lawyer, you can probably get a deferred sentence where you will most likely have to complete community service and be on some sort of probation. This sort of delays the conviction. Once you complete what the court orders to its satisfaction, you will have another hearing where the court will most likely dismiss the charges.

I would suggest spending the money and hire your own attorney, it will be worth it. Talk to your parents, they will be your biggest asset. Do not discuss this matter with the people you shoplifted with, in fact try and not discuss anything with them. Focus on school, you can and need to push pass this speed bump.

There was a kid in our area in the same situation. He was a college freshman, adept at stealing and eventually got busted for a felony theft with a "friend". He was taken downtown, booked, etc. He then hired a lawyer with his parents help, got the charge reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor, got a deferred sentence with 100 hours community service and 1 yr unsupervised probation. His lawyer worked with the DA, admitted there was enough evidence to support his guilt, but asked the case to be taken under advisement. He completed what the court ordered and a year later, the charges were dismissed. He now has graduated from college and works for a large company in the area. He also works with college students in the area who have been arrested for various offenses, but specifically theft.

Commenced by: Indictment
    Charge Type:Felony
    Amended Charge Type:Misdemeanor
    Offense Date:10/29/****
    Arrest Date: 10/29/****
    Concluded Byismissal
    Disposition Codeismissed

1 04/08/**** 3:00PM To Be Set Set for Trial
    2 04/23/*** 1:00PM Plea Guilty Under Advisement
    3 04/23/**** 9:00AM Under Advisement Carried Over
    4 04/28/**** 2:00PM Under Advisement Dismissed

Good luck to you, and steal no more. You will be fine...relax and breathe easy you have probably beat yourself up enough about this matter, get going and sin no more.
    Not worth my time...

1. Sponsored Links