Default Re: probation transfer

I am trying to figure out how this works....you guys are making it sound so easy to transfer from one state to another. It only happens if the state you want to transfer to will even accept you. I am getting married at the end of the year and need to transfer to Georgia, however they may not accept me. Does this mean I should not get married for another 3 years until my probation is over. Or that my fiance, who has had the same job for 22 years, needs to find a new one in Tennesse because I can't transfer. My probation officer also told me that I must have a job there (which I do) and a place to live before Georgia will consider me. Now why would I purchase a place to live before I get accepted? I am not a violent offender (money laundering), does that make a difference?

I don't think that anybody has suggested that getting probation transferred is easy, at least in the sense that it's a sure thing or that there aren't huge impediments to transfer. (Asking your probation officer if he will initiate a transfer is easy. The rest? Not so much.)

If you don't want to marry unless your transfer is approved, wait to see if your transfer is approved before you set a firm wedding date.

Default Re: Probation Transfer To Another State

Probation is generally very hard to get transferred.

No one wants to take on the headache from another jurisdiction.

Default Re: Probation Transfer To Another State

It's a trade-off. Some transfer in, others transfer away.

Thank you for responding. My probation officer had me send in all of his information and has told me that i must already have residency in Georgia, before Georgia will even consider me. She states that since I do have a huge restitution, and I did violate previously, it will hurt me tremendously. My violation was minor, and actually the judge was so disgusted with them that he took 2 years off of my probation. i have done well this past year, except finding decent employment has been difficult with my type of felony. Also the fact that my probation officer must call and disclose all my criminal information to my employer before I can begin working. It has been difficult to say the least, but I have an opportuinity to have a life now. After six years in prison and this ridiculous probation, I just want a chance to move forward, and it is almost impossible here. My robation officer did say that she did not have any problem with the transfer, but not to get my hopes up. She said she has never had anyone on her case load accepted in Georgia. It is discouraging.

1. Sponsored Links