Default Employer "doesn't know" how to report my tips

I just started working for a new company two weeks ago. every night when i clocked out i wrote down my tips. We were told to do this in orientation so that it could be reported to the IRS and taxed. When I got my 1st paycheck monday, I noticed that no tips were showing on my paystub. When I asked my employer about that, he said he "doesn't know how to report tips". Then he asked me if I really wanted them reported because nobody else does. This bothers me. The last person I want to mess with is the IRS. I don't want to find myself trying to scrape up money next april. What should I do?

Default Re: Employer "doesn't know" how to report my tips

Q: What should I do?

A: Ask your employer to hire a bookkeeper to tell him how to do this. Otherwise, you hire a bookkeeper and ask how you should do it.

Cayla doesn't need a bookkeeper. She would just keep a bit of the untaxed money in her savings account until the end of the year, then pay taxes on the unreported income. If it's a high enough amount it may make sense to pay quarterly in the first year, and they might be required in subsequent years.

But let's read between the lines. The employer knows how to report this income. The problem is that the employer knows that if, after many years of reporting no tip income for any employees, a single employee (and that employee alone) starts to report significant amounts of tip income, the IRS is likely to audit the employer.

If I'm right, and I think I am, the employer doesn't want to be educated, and doesn't want to be pressed on the issue, but instead wants to maintain a status quo where it is pretended that none of his employees earn tips.

Mr know-it-all
    If you are right, the right thing for me to do is still report mine isn't it? If i report mine, can the employer LEGALLY fire me? I know there are ways of getting around the legally part, but I want to know what the law says. Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice

Unless you are a union employee, you can be fired for any reason.
    Of course the employer wont fire you because of you wanting to report your tips. But he/she can just say I'm letting you go because you are slow, receive complaints about you, you keep dropping things, or hell, he/she could just lay you off and site cutbacks.
    My advice, keep a log of your tips ( 8% of your gross income for that tipping job is what alot of people claim ( if anything)), and report it next year.
    It really won't make a huge dent in dropping your refund, or raising what you owe.( unless you do it as a full time job )

Quote Quoting cayla99
    View Post
    Mr know-it-all
    If you are right, the right thing for me to do is still report mine isn't it? If i report mine, can the employer LEGALLY fire me? I know there are ways of getting around the legally part, but I want to know what the law says. Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice

If you report your tips, on your personal tax return, and pay the associated taxes, its not very likely that your employer will ever be aware that you have done so.

If your employer ends up being investigated, sometime down the road as a result, its unlikely that your employer would ever know that your particular tax return initiated the investigation.

1. Sponsored Links