Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I Sue The Post Office Over A Missing Package

hey all, I recently had a package is claimed by the tracking information to have been delivered on february 8th. I received no such package. I've confirmed with the sender that they put the right address on there, and I believe that the carrier misdelivered it. the post office is claiming that somebody must have stolen it out of the box. this is not possible because we were home the entire day that day (i remember specificially because it was the day before my birthday, and I was expecting a package, so I kept checking out the window every few minutes) and when the mail came we checked it and it was not there.

the package was unfortunately not insured but I got to thinking about it. I can understand insuring the package because somebody accidentally dropped it or it got crushed under a big package and arrived damaged... but the entire POINT of the post office is to make sure that they DELIVER THE PACKAGE to the right address without LOSING IT, and that service is INCLUDED in the damn postage fees, so why should I have to pay them EXTRA so that they can do the job they were SUPPOSED to do in the FIRST PLACE.

I have NEVER had a package stolen, but I tell you what I have had, on several occasions mail that was not intended for my household had been delivered to my mail box! mail whose address is COMPLETELY off. I've had to give the neighbors their letters too, doing the mailman's job for him...

I don't think this is fair, I want the post office held accountable. we've all had problems with the past, if I go to court I would get testimony from my neighbors who can attest to getting misdelivered mail as well. the way the post office is handling it is "well, what do you want me to do? the carrier said he delivered it..." well what the hell is do you THINKN the carrier is going to say "oohhhh snap that's right I put it in the wrong mailbox!"

so yeah, I want to fight this, anybody have any advice? oh and I am in McAllen TX and the package was worth about 80 bucks. I had to order another one. let's see if they lose this one too.

-SelArom

Default Re: Can I sue the post office?

Yes, you can sue anyone you want to.

Put aside $10K and three or four years and expect to lose, if you sue the post office.

why should it cost that much, cant I just take them to small claims? I'm a patient guy.

-SelArom

I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

Oh please don't get me started on my privatising the U.S. Postal Service rant. Personally I think the whole governmetal operation should be shut down. UPS and Fedex do better at package delivery. With faxing, e-mailing, bill pay from banks, paper item delivery should be almost non-existant in the next 20 or 30 years. Also online magizines and catalogs may increase too.

Quote Quoting BlueCrystal
    View Post
    Oh please don't get me started on my privatising the U.S. Postal Service rant. Personally I think the whole governmetal operation should be shut down. UPS and Fedex do better at package delivery. With faxing, e-mailing, bill pay from banks, paper item delivery should be almost non-existant in the next 20 or 30 years. Also online magizines and catalogs may increase too.
    i can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I agree with the statements you've made. although ups sucks just as bad at least you can TRACK shit and hold them accountable...

I think the post office is somewhat obsolete as well, but that doesn't mean they should just get away with being incompetent. I want them to answer for this!

-SelArom

As I read 28 USC § 2680(b), the government retains immunity for "Any claim arising out of the loss, miscarriage, or negligent transmission of letters or postal matter."

whaaaat? that's the STUPIDEST THING I EVER HEARD... i mean i know they don't want to be sued by everybody but I really think that they are at fault.

what if I don't sue the government but the carrier or just the local post office?

-SelArom

That's a distinction without a difference.

I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

Talking Re: Can I sue the post office?

Quote Quoting SelArom
    View Post
    i can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I agree with the statements you've made. although ups sucks just as bad at least you can TRACK shit and hold them accountable...

I think the post office is somewhat obsolete as well, but that doesn't mean they should just get away with being incompetent. I want them to answer for this!

-SelArom
    I am not being sarcastic SelArom I am very serious over my unhappiness towards the U.S. Postal Service. I was sued and garnished by a hospital due to the Post Office deciding to forward my mail to a P.O. Box. It took me almost 7 months to get it straightened out. I was told to do a change of address but the problem was I didn't have a P.O. Box. So my husband and I had to go back and forth and with them and all my mail was returned to the senders. Oh and the bill I was sued for was a hospital bill for the cost of the birth of my *grandchild.* I don't have a son or daughter as I am sterile and I chose not to adopt so how could I be responsible for the birth of a *grandchild*? Oh well that's another story.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    That's a distinction without a difference.
    i don't see why I couldn't sue the carrier independent of the post office. I can try to prove he has a history of misdelivering mail. hell all I gotta do is talk to the neighbors.

it seems like basically the bottom line is that I'm screwed. I refuse, I refuse I refuse to accept that.

-SelArom

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast