Default When Is A Landlord Responsible For Bad Tenants

In California is a landlord responsible for the action of bad tenants once the landlord has had sufficient notice of the tenants' behavior?

Can the landlord be sued if they don't so anything to curb the behavior?

Is there a statue governing this?

I've got the renter neighbors from hell, and while they haven't caused any property damage yet, I want to put as much pressure on them to leave as I can. The landlord has washed his hands of the matter, telling me to have the police deal with it. I want to put the landlord on notice that he can't sit by and ignore a problem he knows is festering.

Any advice would be most appreciated. The folks on this site are great.

Best regards,

Erin Rado

Default Re: Landlord Responsible For Bad Tenants?

There would have to be a lot more to it than "I don't like my neighbor," before you would have any sort of claim against your landlord or ability to escape your lease.

Q: In California is a landlord responsible for the action of bad tenants once the landlord has had sufficient notice of the tenants' behavior? Can the landlord be sued if they don't so anything to curb the behavior? Is there a statue governing this?

A: No, no, and no.

Aaron,

I own my home. My horrific neighbors lease, and I want to hold their landlord responsible for their actions to pressure the landlord to do something about them.

However, as SeinorJudge has said, "no, no and no", it appears I'm out of luck.

Thanks All,

Erin

You cannot be held responsible for someone else's actions and neither can the landlord.

Default Re: When Is A Landlord Responsible For Bad Tenants

Senior Judge,

Thank you for the response.

A friend of mine who deals in real estate law told me today that a landlord who is aware that his tenants are potentially injurious or in the habit of breaking the law and does nothing about the behavior may be liable for the damage his tenants cause.

There's no statue, but there is case law precedent, which I'll be researching.

My friend said that the landlord/tenant arrangement is a business arrangement, and just like the government being able to seize a rented house when tenants use it for drug manufacturing, a landlord can be held liable when he knows his tenants might cause harm and does nothing to safeguard his neighbors.

Thanks again,

Erin Rado

Default Re: When Is A Landlord Responsible For Bad Tenants

Your friend is wrong.

1. Sponsored Links