Default My truck got repoed, need advice

This is somewhat complicated, so I will tell the whole story.

Fell behind in payments for various reasons. Today, at 3:30am, my doorbell rings. I live in a apartment downstairs from my father, who is the comaker on the truck loan. Alarmed at this, we answer the door, my father who is a police officer, comes to the door with his gun in hand, not knowing whats going on. Three guys are there saying they have a order of repossession for my truck. So they show us the paper, and tell me if I want i can get my personal belongings out of the truck. So i do. I hand them the keys rather than put up a fight. As they are getting ready to leave, my father and I decide to follow them their storage yard, to make sure my truck gets there ok. They agreed. So we go on our way, and the guy drivng my truck is obviously trying to lose me. He is speeding, blowing red lights, and cutting down side streets. We now get on the freeway, and again, he is trying to lose us, playing cat and mouse games with semi trucks, exiting and reentering the freeway, etc. This goes on for about 25 miles, and at some times he exceeded 90MPH with my truck! So now we get off the freeway, and his two repo buddies driving other vehicles, try to block us in, while the guy driving my truck takes off. We go around them and catch up. So my father calls the local Police 911 to tell them whats going on. The dispatcher had already gotten a call from the repo guy, claiming there is a guy chasing him with a gun. So next thing we know, there are 7 state police cars pulling us over. They block us in and the repo guys keep going. After the police realize my father was a off duty officer, they let us go, but now we had no clue where my truck was and was headed to. There was no address on the repo order, and the phone # they gave us was bogus. By this point I am furious. We go back home and call Ford Credit.

Now, here is the dispute with them. I made a payment via phone on Feb 15th. In order to bring my account up to date I hate to remit the past due amount of roughly 2000 dollars. Which I did, and have a confirmation number for. The car was repoed feb 19th. Ford says they did not recieve the payment yet. They urge you to pay by phone when your account is past due, because it is fast, and the account gets credited the next business day. Well it should have posted friday but did not, and today is a holiday. But I have a confirmation number that I did make that payment on feb 15th.

So, my question is, how would you handle this situation? I do want my truck back, I have to much invested in it, however, the truck may have some damage from the repo guys romping on a cold diesel engine, and driving it over medians and curbs. I think I may have to hire an attorney for this. What do you think?

Default Re: My truck got repoed, need advice

When we called Ford, they did not care to hear about the repo story we told them, and told us we may not be able to get our truck back unless they approve it. And that they will contact us tomorrow and let us know. Either way, I do not want to take possession of my truck until someone from Ford comes out to assess my truck and verify any damage that may have been done to it. And if need be, I will hire an attorney and take the repo company and ford to court for this. I am outraged with the repo outfit.

If you want the repo guys to drive carefully, perhaps you and your father shouldn't pursue them with a gun next time.

Try to figure out tomorrow why the payment wasn't credited, and if Ford will return the car if it proves to be their mistake.

I understand your point, but my Father identified himself as a policer officer, showed them his badge, and they agreed to let us follow them. For whatever reason, they were trying to elude us not because he thought his life was in danger. They either planned on using my truck to go repo other vehicles, who knows what else. They looked like gangbangers. And if they would have stopped, my father may have handcuffed him and had the local PD bring him in on charges of reckless driving and endangerment. Which is a crime here in illinois.

I dont undestand when you post on these forums for help, you get responses like you have posted. Just because i was late on my car payments I am considered a fool, and a criminal. I have no problem with repo guys making a living doing there job, but when they cross the line there is a problem. They crossed the line last night.

The second you are a day late, you have breached your contract. Every car loan has an acceleration clause, and most also say that "verbal agreements are not binding" somewhere in them, to make sure the contract supercedes anything one individual manning the phones might have to say to you.

Once you are late, you no longer have the right to make payments, you have to settle up on the entire loan right then and there. The only times creditors will not take this route is if they think they will make more money by allowing you to make payments (they weigh the risk of you actually paying versus what they could auction the repoed vehicle for).

As for the repo guys, I can not blame them for trying to get away from you, I have heard many stories, first hand, about my repo guys getting shot at, or hospitalized from GSW.

If you lok very closely at your original loan contract, I am sure you already signed a "hold harmless" against any repossession company that ford motor credit would contract. If damage was done to the vehicle, you most likely have already signed away any rights you may have had about said damage.

Were I in your shoes, I would talk to FMC and try to set up a new plan to make good on the payments, and get the truck back. Trying to pursue damages done by the repo company will most likely cost you a lot of time and effort, with no real results.

If you have been good on payments in the past, and this is just a strange slip up that happened, FMC will most likely want you to continue making payments, instead of suing you over the amount (your owed vs what they sold vehicle for).

I understand being angry at the situation with the repo guys, and by all means, follow that up if you wish. I just do not think it will get you very far.

I understand exactly what you are saying. But in all honesty, I dont think the repo guy was scrared thinking we were going to shoot at him, or whatever. What they were doing that night, and the guy told me, was they would go repo a car, then park it somewhere, and go back for it later, there were at least 3 of them out that night, and I know they wanted to park my truck somewhere and go get another car, to save themselves time getting back to their repo lot 40 miles away. So us following them was a inconvienence, therefore pi$$ing them off. IF they were scared, why would he slow down, and swerve at us? Either way, that is done and over for now.

The main question I still have is the payment thing. If I made the payment on feb 15th, with a confirmation # for a payment of 2000 dollars, which was the total amount past due, and even though it did not post to my account becasue of the business day issue, how does that work? Today is feb 20, and the funds have been deducted from my bank account as of today. I do not have control over Ford's electronic payment system, however I would like to think the confimation # should mean something. Ford has accepted late payments on this account in the past, and from what I read they cannot repo a car if the account is not past due? Thanks, JG

Quote Quoting JG33
    View Post
    I understand your point, but my Father identified himself as a policer officer, showed them his badge, and they agreed to let us follow them. For whatever reason, they were trying to elude us not because he thought his life was in danger. They either planned on using my truck to go repo other vehicles, who knows what else. They looked like gangbangers. And if they would have stopped, my father may have handcuffed him and had the local PD bring him in on charges of reckless driving and endangerment. Which is a crime here in illinois.
    Give me a break. You chased after them in an inappropriate fashion with a gun, in a manner which inspired them to call the police. When the on-duty, bona fide cops showed up, they did stop. If your father had not in fact been an off-duty cop, it would have been you and dad who would have been cooling your heels in jail.
    Quote Quoting JG33
    I dont undestand when you post on these forums for help, you get responses like you have posted.
    I understand that when I post accurate answers to inquiries posted, some people will be rude and ungrateful. I guess that's just the way it goes.
    Quote Quoting JG33
    View Post
    The main question I still have is the payment thing. If I made the payment on feb 15th, with a confirmation # for a payment of 2000 dollars, which was the total amount past due, and even though it did not post to my account becasue of the business day issue, how does that work? Today is feb 20, and the funds have been deducted from my bank account as of today. I do not have control over Ford's electronic payment system, however I would like to think the confimation # should mean something. Ford has accepted late payments on this account in the past, and from what I read they cannot repo a car if the account is not past due?
    If you make your payment in a manner in which it won't post until a later date, the fact that it is made prior to the date it is posted is irrelevant. It hasn't posted, and you don't get credit for it until it posts.

As you were previously told, if there was an error by Ford by which the payment should have posted at an earlier date, take it up with Ford and see what they have to say.

Finally got an answer from Ford. They recieved the payment today, and I will be able to go pick up my truck tomorrow.

Quote Quoting JG33
    View Post
    Finally got an answer from Ford. They recieved the payment today, and I will be able to go pick up my truck tomorrow.
    Good.

Go and sin no more.

1. Sponsored Links