Default When does child support stop in Florida?

Hello, my husband has been paying child support for 16 years for his son who turned 18 on January 25. When my husband and his son's mother were divorced, it did not state in the decree when child support would stop.We sent a letter to the Pinellas County Clerk of Court asking them to review the case, which they did and they sent us a letter stating that the son was an emancipated minor and the balance due on his account was 0. We then took this letter to his employer and they stopped the child support from coming out of his check as of this week. The problem is the Mother of this 18 year old is threatning to take us to court to get us to continue to pay child support. Can she do this? Should we just send her money? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: When does child support stop in Florida?

Is he still in high school?

This link may shed some light on the subject.

Yes he is until May 23rd. Why would the Clerk of Court close the case and send a letter to discontinue withholding support if we should still be paying?

Quote Quoting baileysmom
    View Post
    Yes he is until May 23rd. Why would the Clerk of Court close the case and send a letter to discontinue withholding support if we should still be paying?
    If you noticed in the link I gave you it stated, "Child support terminates at age 18 unless otherwise ordered." It must have not been spelled out in the initial order.

Your husband should expect that she will be taking him to court, proving the son is still a dependent and that the support payments should continue.

1. Sponsored Links