Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Felony Expungement in New York

NYS is one of the few states that does not offer one a way to seal their old crimnal convcition. I am a reentry advocate in NYS. Coming in January NYS will have for the first time a democratic senate. There is reason for hope that a sealing bill will come out. Expungement is a misnomer. Expungement means destroying all records. This does not occur. Sealing means the records are still there but can't be viewed by anyone, and you can honestly hold your head high when applying for employment, and saying NO to the question that asks if you have been ever convicted of a crime.
    With that said in NYS we are not there yet. Please Please all of you that read this please call Senator John Sampson ATT Tim legal Counsel, and tell him you support a sealing bill. He is drafting one for january of 2009. Tele# 518-455-2788. Also call Assemblyman Aubry's Counsel Dan at 518-455-4561. Lets get it done for 2009, and it would take effect for 2010. You need to call. NYS can have such a bill

Default Re: Proposed NYS Bill for Expunging Up To Two Felony and Misdemeanor Convictions

Hello everyone:
    I have very good news Senator sampson just introduced bill# S1708, this bill will allow one to seal any misdemeanor conviction other than violent, and sexual.This is a more comprehensive bill than the old one where it was just for drug convictions. This is a historic bill in NYS. Now we must het the assembly to pass it. Please call dan salvin in Assemblyman AUbry's office, and tell him you support this bill 518-455-4313. Also Assemblyman Lento ask for Marcy fineman, and tell her you support it. Assemblyman lento will be adopting this bill anyday now.

Default Re: New York Criminal Record and Employment Problems

Please call up new york assemblyman Jeff Aubry, and tell him you support senate bill#1708 for sealing of a criminal conviction.

Default Re: Expungement of Misdemeanor Simple Assault Charge

New York State is considering an expungement law. Right now Senator John sampson put out bill # S1708. Kindly call his office, and New York State assemblyman Jeffrion Aubry to support this bill.

Default Re: What Is Sealing or Expungement

Please take notice that there is a bill that came out on 2/5/09 from nys Senator John Sampson Bill#1708. Please call Tim at 518-455-2788, and call dan salvin in Assemblyman Aubry's office at 518-455-4561. Tell them you want a sealing bill so you have no barriers to employment

Default Re: Expungement of a Misdemeanor

New york does not have an expungement law for misdemeanors or felony's like other states do. Right no there is no second chance in NYS. However there is a historic bill that was just released from Senator John sampson Bill#1708. Please call his office, and tell him you support it 518-455-2788. It is also very very important to call Dan salvin chief legal counsel to Assemblyman Aubry tell him you support this bill 518-455-4561, and call assemblyman Joseph Lentol 518-455-4477, ask for mrs. fineman, and tell her you support the bill. We can get this done this year.

Default Re: Can You Expunge a Misdemeanor Conditional Discharge?

Please note NYS now has a bill from Senator Sampson called the second chance act. You must call tim in that office 518-455-2788, and tell him you support the bill, also call Dan salvin in Assemblyman Aubry's office at 518-455-2561, and Mrs. Fineman in Assemblyman Lento's office. The more letters, and phone calls in support of this sealing bill will help get it passed this year. Then you never have to worry about a background check. Lets get it done

Default Re: How Long Does a Misdemeanor Stay on Your Criminal Record in New York State

New York is behind many states when it comes to offering ex-offenders a second chance. The good news is that the legislator is considering a sealing bill that was just introduced by Senator Sampson bill#1708. Please call Assemblyman Aubry's office ask for legal counsel dan salvin 518-455-4561, and tell him you support this bill so you can get a good job. Also Mrs. Fineman in Assemblyman Lento's office at 518-455-4477, and tell her you support the bill. The more calls, and letters will get this bill passed this year.

Default Re: Proposed NYS Bill for Expunging Up To Two Felony and Misdemeanor Convictions

Please take notice that officially today Assemblyman Lentol sponsored bill# A06065. Lets hope

Quote Quoting Johnny Leary
    View Post
    Hello friends, to answer your question this bill (if passed) wouldn’t become law until November 2008.

On the other side I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that State Senator Frank Padavan wrote back to me stating in response to Senate Bill S.2811/A04958 introduced by his colleague, Senator Volker, “which would allow the Second Chance Commission upon application to order the criminal records sealed to certain individuals that they feel have been rehabilitated and that I may be certain of his full consideration of my support when this matter is brought before the Senate for a vote.”

The bad news is after doing more research into the matter; it appears that this bill is only good for drug related crimes (even for misdemeanors), which wasn’t stated on the legislation page. It is however on the senate page: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/me...NQUERY=SENAGEN – type in A04958 for Bill #, and check the boxes for Status, Text, Summary, and Sponsors Memo to view this information because otherwise you won’t see it. My apologies to anyone who thought they were affected and turned out they won’t be (such as myself) but it honestly was misleading on the other pages.

This is definitely not great to hear because this will leave out a lot of people. While I’m still going to support it because I think it’s a step in the right direction I bring it to you people in what to do next? Should we wait to see what happens with this bill first before we try to write in to propose a bill about all non-violent/non-sexual crimes or start doing it now? I certainly wouldn’t mind hearing some more ideas on this matter, thanks!

1 update on this current law is that it was advaced to its 3rd reading on May 29th, so that's good news for anyone convicted of a drug related crime. My argument for why New York might have been reluctant to branch it out to other crimes is because most jobs in this state can't ask 7 years past about criminal convictions. However after speaking with a background check agency, it's 1 of only 9 other states to have a limitation on this matter. What they don't realize is 40 states don't have this and can go back forever, so this is possibly something that can be used for our argument if we bring it forward. My only other request is it doesn't seem like a lot of you are pursuing this actively. Had you been writing in and fighting, better things will happen. If you just lay around and wait, I have a newsflash, nothing's going to change. So please really take this into consideration, it doesn't take up too much time to fight for this worthy cause and finally gain our rights back.
    "My argument for why New York might have been reluctant to branch it out to other crimes is because most jobs in this state can't ask 7 years past about criminal convictions."

Are you sure about most jobs not checking back more then 7 years? I filed out applications where the question was have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony,there was no time limit attached to this.Pretty much a criminal conviction from ny is w. you for life.

I remember seeing post her where someone was saying there conviction from awhile ago was stopping them from finding a good job.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast