Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stipulation for beneficiaries not to marry outside Jewish religion legal?

My father has placed a stipulation in his will that states if anyone one of the beneficiaries marries outside the Jewish religion they get nothing. Is this legal? I think this is so wrong, but he won't budge on it. Please help! I really need to know if this is legal and will it be enforcable once he is gone? Thanks

Default Re: Stipulation for beneficiaries not to marry outside Jewish religion legal?

It's his will.....he can make whatever stipulations he wishes to attach to HIS assets.

Default Re: Stipulation for beneficiaries not to marry outside Jewish religion legal?

Wow. Do you think that it will be enforceable though? If I placed a stipulation in my will that stated no one will receive money unless they commit a crime, now that would definately not hold up. My point is that I just don't understand how such a discriminating stipulation could hold if contested?

Committing a crime is illegal.

It is not illegal to marry within your religion.

Yes I see that, but discrimination is also illegal. How can one prevent another from marrying someone of their choosing?

Quote Quoting panamajack
    View Post
    Yes I see that, but discrimination is also illegal. How can one prevent another from marrying someone of their choosing?
    Where on earth did you get the idea that discrimination was illegal?

it is a violation of my rights, is it not?

Quote Quoting panamajack
    View Post
    it is a violation of my rights, is it not?
    It's his will.....he can make whatever stipulations he wishes to attach to HIS assets.

Quote Quoting panamajack
    View Post
    I think your father answered that question.

Quote Quoting panamajack
    View Post
    Your father is not stopping you from marrying anyone you choose. You just won't get any of the inheritance if you choose not to go along with the stipulation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast