Default Finding Out If You Have A Bench Warrant

Ryan from Brooklyn, NY here...nice to see such a service offered:

I received a ticket back in the summer of 2006 for having my feet on a bench. I was to appear in court at some time in September. Lost track of the ticket, and ended up getting arrested for jumping a turnstyle in the subway...received an ACD with the condition that I complete community service, which I did. Problem is, during this time, I never appeared in court for the ticket. In fact, I was supposed to have appeared at some point during my 5 days of community service. I told another fellow who was completing his service along with me, and he said that since I didn't provide proper ID to the cops at the time I was issued the ticket (I didn't) they may have written up the ticket but never put it in. He also said that the court officer supervising the community service would've gotten a "hit" on his computer, since he had to process our info each time we appeared for service. I'm fairly certain nothing will come of this, but I would like to know anyway since I'm aware that warrants do NOT expire until you appear before a judge. I know enough to NOT go to the local precinct and ask, since they will arrest me. However, there is an NYPD warrant info hotline...the NYPD site says you can call, speak to a warrant investigator, and they will check on file to see if you have a warrant. Is it wise to do this, or am I just asking for the warrant squad to show up at my door if there IS a warrant? Thanks for any and all help.

Default Re: Finding out if you have a bench warrant

I would want to know if there was a warrant for me.

Exactly. As I stated, I WOULD like to know. Is my best course of action to just go to the county court and find out that way? I read a few of the other answers given to similarly phrased questions, and the consensus seems that attempting to find out via phone can produce ambiguous results.

Call a Bail Bondsmen in your area and he should be able to tell you. Plus, if there is a bond for you he/she may be able to post it for you so that the warrant can be recalled.

Quote Quoting Bail Bonds
    View Post
    Call a Bail Bondsmen in your area and he should be able to tell you. Plus, if there is a bond for you he/she may be able to post it for you so that the warrant can be recalled.
    Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I needed!

Your Welcome!!

Thanks for the great advice guys I decided to bite the bullet and take the day off from work to deal with this. Would you believe that the entire process from the time I arrived and reported to the warrants division to the time I saw the judge took 40 minutes? The Judge was very kind and understanding of my "Unauthorized Use of a Park Bench" charge, simply asking me why I had my feet spread out on one. I told him that I was reading a book. He asked which one, and I replied "The Life and Times of Tristam Shandy." He said, "Next time, read in the library. ACD. Have a nice day."

Quote Quoting remybklyn
    I received a ticket back in the summer of 2006 for having my feet on a bench.
    So when you asked about a bench warrant, there was a double meaning?
    Quote Quoting remybklyn
    ... I replied "The Life and Times of Tristam Shandy."
    Were you inspired to read the book by having seen the recent film? Even with the film, it's a bit obscure.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    So when you asked about a bench warrant, there was a double meaning?

I guess I was twice the fool. For having my back laid across the bench in the park, and also, for not appearing in front of the judge's bench.

Were you inspired to read the book by having seen the recent film? Even with the film, it's a bit obscure.
    I just found out that it was adapted into a film. The book was quite a chore, and yes, obscure.

1. Sponsored Links