Default Moving Out of Parents Home in North Carolina

I'll be sixteen in December. I live in North Carolina. I'd like to move out of my parents home, possibly to a different state. They don't abuse me physically or neglect me, but there is a lot of stress and arguing in the house, and I've never been happy here.

My two older brothers both moved out at 16 (from my mothers house, not the house I'm in now) and my mom says that legally I can move out at 16.

Can I do that? What are my options? I don't want to necessarily divorce my father, I just want to move out because I am so unhappy here. What can I do and, if not, what would my other options that would enable me to move out in December?

Help!

Default Minor Moving To Another State

If your parents let you move out at 16, there's little to stop you from doing so. But if you are going to move to another state, unless you obtain formal emancipation (and possibly even if you do so) you will likely run into difficulty establishing an independent residence, because minors are restricted in their ability to contract. While emancipation in most states will remove that restriction, some people (particularly landlords) will still be reluctant to contract with a teenager.

Thus, if you do move to another state, it makes sense for you to do so within a context where you will have reasonable support from an adult friend or relative in that state, at least until you turn 18.

Default North Carolina Emancipation Law

Thanks for the reply.

If I move out of the home without complete consent with parents, but stay within the state of NC, will they legally be able to force me to return home? My mother says that as long as I don't have a criminal record or anything like that, they can't legally do anything... and I can legally be out on my own. Is that true?

Default North Carolina Emancipation Law

North Carolina emancipation law does not provide for automatic emancipation at the age of 16. It provides that "Any juvenile who is 16 years of age or older and who has resided in the same county in North Carolina or on federal territory within the boundaries of North Carolina for six months next preceding the filing of the petition may petition the court in that county for a judicial decree of emancipation."

If you are not emancipated, you could be classified as a runaway.

1. Sponsored Links