Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Falsely Accused of Return Fraud

I have 3 nieces, all of which I bought clothes for over the holidays for Christmas. Unfortunately, not all of the clothes I bought were the right sizes, so I gave my sister the receipt so that she could either exchange them or refund them and buy the kids whatever they want.

I guess my sister decided to refund them and purchase some clothes at another retailer because they were having a big clothing sale of some sort. However, the store (Target) that she tried to return the clothes to DENIED her a refund for the clothing items. The claimed that there were too many items (clothing) being returned too later after Christmas (their return policy is 90 days) and that because she had also returned a few other items earlier in the year that they would be unable to give her a refund. I guess she asked to speak to a manager and the manager said they couldn't do a refund because of the possibility that it could be return fraud.

I was pretty dumbfounded to hear this. Can retailers do this? Can they legally not return the items you bought from their store when you have a receipt and are within the return time-frame? I can see how they can do the refund and then ban you from the store, but to not do it at all?!

Any info would be great. By the way, this is in Michigan.

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Return Fraud

I'm assuming that you're claiming the return was made within the 90-day period. I suspect that the store may have looked at the stack of clothes and suspected from their appearance that they had been used or worn during the holiday season, and that the desire was to nonetheless return them for a cash refund.

In most states, including Michigan, you have no legal right to return merchandise and returns are governed exclusively by store policy. Often return policies include exceptions, and I don't know whether Target's Michigan return policy says "Anything can be returned within 90 days of purchase (if in 'like new' condition)" or if it includes a provision permitting a store to deny a return under certain circumstances. I also don't know if the store determined the clothes to have been worn and thus not suitable for resale.

The best way to resolve this type of problem, if you can't resolve it with the store's manager, is often to go above the store, and contact the corporate headquarters with a complaint about the store's actions. A store should follow its published return policy as a matter of contract.

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting longhungjohn33
    View Post
    I have 3 nieces, all of which I bought clothes for over the holidays for Christmas. Unfortunately, not all of the clothes I bought were the right sizes, so I gave my sister the receipt so that she could either exchange them or refund them and buy the kids whatever they want.

I guess my sister decided to refund them and purchase some clothes at another retailerIs this a different store? or same store different location? because they were having a big clothing sale of some sort. However, the store (Target) that she tried to return the clothes to DENIED her a refund for the clothing items.If they were not theirs then why should they? The claimed that there were too many itemsOk big warnning here 12 items being returned ten items on reciept? Is that what happened? (clothing) being returned too later after Christmas (their return policy is 90 days)Why wait so long? another red flag! and that because she had also returned a few other items earlier in the yearShe could b ein system as chornic returner and that sends red flags that they would be unable to give her a refund. I guess she asked to speak to a manager and the manager said they couldn't do a refund because of the possibility that it could be return fraud.Well at least he was honest

I was pretty dumbfounded to hear this. Can retailers do this? Can they legally not return the items you bought from their store when you have a receipt and are within the return time-frame? I can see how they can do the refund and then ban you from the store, but to not do it at all?!

Any info would be great. By the way, this is in Michigan.
    Check to see what the stores return policy is but seems like they followed it. Also look into things I put in bold type.

It is interesting that in the past you've inquired as to what evidence is sufficient to support a conviction for retail fraud, whether fleeing the state will prevent retail fraud charges from being filed, whether you can avoid stopping when you set of a store alarm, and how somebody might be able to avoid paying a visa charge by disputing a signature. If I apply the "Where there's smoke, there's fire" principle to this latest thread, I would suspect that Target got it right.

panther10758 Guest

At this point I would say that the OP's credibilty is suspect!

Lightbulb Re: Falsely Accused of Return Fraud

IMHO, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and sh*ts like a duck, pretty sure it ain't a frog!

With a screen name like, "longhungjohn"....it's pretty clear he's got a vivid imagination.

Lightbulb Re: Falsely Accused of Return Fraud

May have left out the decimal......could be 3.3! or .33

Quote Quoting PaulE
    View Post
    With a screen name like, "longhungjohn"....it's pretty clear he's got a vivid imagination.
    Google him, although not from work, and you'll find he leaves a lot less to the imagination than you would expect.

I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

Angry Re: Falsely Accused of Return Fraud

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeee! Yuck! I am offended! This has upset my born again virgin values. I need a lawyer, I want to sue for damages.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast