Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Happens to a Bail Bond I Co-Sign if the Person Flees the Country

ok it's a long story so to be short, a few years ago myself and one of my roomates bailed a buddy out of jail. in order to do so we needed to get a bail bondsman, well we co-signed his bond. He has since fled the country and and now the bondsman has contacted my mother looking for $$. The thing is that this "buddy" has very powerful parents both who work for the UN. So i have in my possesion a letter from his parents notorized from the UN and on UN letter head stating that they take full responsiblity for their sons issues, any legal fees or anything else related to this. so at this point i don't know what to do, do i need to contact a lawyer ? am i going to have to pay his $50k bond. i am really stressed out. i have called this so called "buddies" mother and left a message but that is the only step i have taken so far. Should i call the bondsman and forward them a copy of the letter ? would that take the responibility off of me? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks.

Default Re: Need Help - Bail Bond i co-sign and person flees country

You are liable for the $50K.

even if i have a letter stating otherwise ?

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    You are liable for the $50K.

Quote Quoting djm1k0
    View Post
    even if i have a letter stating otherwise ?
    That "letter" is between YOU and the person who wrote it. It does not absolve you of your contract with the bailbond company.

well is it something that i can forward a copy of to the bond company and then they can discuss with this persons parents in order to obtain their cash ?

Quote Quoting moburkes
    View Post
    That "letter" is between YOU and the person who wrote it. It does not absolve you of your contract with the bailbond company.

Quote Quoting djm1k0
    View Post
    well is it something that i can forward a copy of to the bond company and then they can discuss with this persons parents in order to obtain their cash ?
    The bail bond company is not going to do that.

Quote Quoting djm1k0
    View Post
    Send it all you want. It does NOT absolve you of the responsibility that you ACCEPTED. It will not be a get out of jail free card. They could care less about that letter. It was written to you.

If I send you the letter in the mail that says that I won the lottery for a cool $1 million, if I send $29.95, can I send you the letter and a money order for $29.95, and will YOU send me the cool $1 million?

thank you, look i'm her for legal advice and as you can see i'm not a lawyer. is this something that a lawyer can assist me in getting out of ? i tried to help a friend out and now i'm getting screwed in the end i'm not the criminal here. so please let me know what you suggest would be the best course of action that i should take as paying $50K is not an option.

thanks.

Quote Quoting moburkes
    View Post
    Send it all you want. It does NOT absolve you of the responsibility that you ACCEPTED. It will not be a get out of jail free card. They could care less about that letter. It was written to you.

If I send you the letter in the mail that says that I won the lottery for a cool $1 million, if I send $29.95, can I send you the letter and a money order for $29.95, and will YOU send me the cool $1 million?

Your only options are these:
    To start paying the $50k.
    To attempt to contact the parents in regards to the letter they signed.

If the bondsman sues you, you can attempt to seek indemnification through the parents on the basis of the letter. Or you can pay the bond off and seek indemnification.

You say "powerful" - as in, protected by diplomatic immunity? Because... well, you're not likely to have much luck suing a diplomat.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast