Post Pregnant 15 year old Seeking Emancipation

Hi I'm 15 turning 16 on thursday and I am 5 weeks pregnant. My borfriend is 21. We are in love with each other dearly despite the age.

My mom liked him at first but now she dosent. I have had problems at home even before i met him. It makes him upset with my mom. She tells me to leave at times, and hate grew between us. I would leave but then she also says shes going to call the cops on my boyfriend and he would be charged with satuatory rape. I really dont want to happen.

My boyfriend works fulltime and I go to school fulltime. I am not planning to drop out. My boyfriend supports himself and I and is willing to settle down and be a family when the child is born.

I live in New York and I know there is no Law about Emancipation in New York. I looked up information about Emancipation and I seen that a minor can be emancipated if they were married. Then we had some ideas. We looked up marraige laws in all states, and in Geogia we found that a minor can get married with parent consent but if the bride is pregnant all I need is a letter from a Georgia licensed physician. We planned to drive down to Georgia and have everything done there.

I need to know if I get married in Georgia and come back to new york and live with my boyfriend can he get in any trouble? Can my mom do anything about it? And will I be identified as emancipated in New York even though I got married in Georgia?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Pregnant 15 year old Seeking Emancipation

To marry you need parental consent other than marriage you donot meet any normal criteria for emancepation. Not to mention the trouble your BF could be in now as well.

Default Re: Pregnant 15 year old Seeking Emancipation

As I think about this, I believe that after a politically embarrassing incident last year Georgia changed its law. That is, I believe you're seeing old information and that not even Georgia would currently permit marriage without parental approval.

Found it:
    Quote Quoting Perdue signs bill seeking to plug marriage loophole
    Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue signed legislation Tuesday that closes a loophole in state law that allowed couples of any age to get married without parental consent in the case of a pregnancy.

Prompted by the case of a pregnant woman who married a 15-year-old boy, the law bans teens under 16 from marrying and deletes language in the state code that allowed a minor to wed regardless of age or parental consent if there is a pregnancy.

The bill allows 16- or 17-year-olds to marry, but only with the approval of a parent or guardian and the confirmation of a probate judge.

1. Sponsored Links