Last week my husband and I, told our attorney we were going to apply for funding against my settlement, which is presently in litigation. Our lawyer, sat there and said, "whatever you guys need me to sign I will." So we went home, looked for a decent company, and applied. When the time came for the application to be filled out by him, out of his mouth came,"I cannot get legally involved with this, I can't even talk to those people for you," and handed us the blank application back.
The following business day, his paralegal gave us copies of the requested documents needed for the funding co.'s application, and we ourselves filled out it out, then faxed it back in, after calling the lawyer and getting the answers I did not know.
Then...we were informed we were perfect candidates for the funding because of the extent of my injuries, and the way the Dr.'s and police reports read. But...had to be denied because of our attorneys' refusal to sign their contract, which states we would pay the fees back if we won the case.
I even offered to let him draw up some type of contract saying his firm could take what they needed out beforehand, to pay back whatever was owed to the funding co., if his fear was we would not pay the money back, and let the contract say just that. That he was in no way, legally and or financially responsible for this action, that thia was completely and solely our decision.
I just guess my question is, as our attorney, why would he refuse to sign those papers, and can he, if we as his clients, are coming to him in hardship?Especially, if we had signed him on as a Personal Injury Attorney. We live in the state of Nevada, in case that makes a difference in how the laws work. Also, is he legally able to deny me information as far Medical Lien Companies go, with giving me names of some? He told me he could not do that because he could get into trouble. I cannot understand that, because what is the difference between this time when I am asking for one, and before, when they assigned me one for the first operation?Seeing as I need this second operation, not as a second one really, but moreso as a second part of the first one. I need to have a stimulator put into my spine, and was told by him, "when this is over you can take the money out of your pocket and get it done."
Can somebody, anybody, please answer any of my questions? I am sitting here at home, and have been crying for 3 days ,because in less than 1 week my husband and I are going to be homeless and really need some answers or just something to understand. It wasn't like that funding was going to be for a good time, it was for a couple months rent and the bills. God! It wasn't even an astronomical amount...that is what is insane, it was not even an amount that was scarey to hear. Ballpark figure $10,000. He has been telling me for 3 years now I am going to be a very wealthy person when this is over...so what is the problem? :