Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grandparents rights in Florida

What are the grand parents right in Florida? My sister-in-law was found an unfit mother by the courts in 2005 when the baby was 3 months old. The father of the baby at that time was unknown. With DCF involded they found who the biological father was. During this whole time the maternal grandparents had guardianship over the baby. The father never had any interest in the baby of his own and we believe through much motivation of his mother chose to take custody. Now the baby is 2 and the father does not participate in any caregiving ,only his mother and her boyfriend on the weekends. During the week she is with her maternal grandparents. This agreement was between the grandparents and the father since all the paternal side is working during the week.
    What rights do the maternal grandparent s have since they are really the primary caregivers? The baby is confused why she goes back and forth and cries and screams everytime she has to go back to the paternals granmothers house. :

Default Re: Grandparents rights in Florida

Does DCF still have jurisdiction? Are the maternal grandparents providing in-family placement during the pendency of child protective proceedings, or are they court-appointed guardians? Do the maternal grandparents want to change the arrangement?

DCF does not have jurisdiction. The case has been settled with complete custody going to the father. The maternal granparents were providing in-family placement (guardianship) during the whole process, they were even looking into adoption until the father (and mostly his mother) stepped in and said he wanted to take custody. And seeing that he is the dad and has not been deem unfit he was granted custody with no questions asked. From day 1 he has not barely any interest in his daughter. The maternal grandparent are getting frustrated with the agreement of the child goping back and forth from melbourne to orlando. Itis confusing the child and she does not like going to their house. She seems to do fine whie there but it is with great frustrated as she leaves. I believe they have to have some sort of rights to fight this to get complete custody or something. It seems as though the paternal family just is thinking of themselves and not all the frustration and confusion they are adding to the child.

Default Grandparents rights in Florida

I out up a thread 2 days ago and received 1 reply with soem questions. I answered those in a reply and need to find some more information. Please go back to Granparents Rights in Florida posted 12-19-06 and finish answering my question. We really could use the help.
    Thank You!

Can someone please answer my questions? We could really use some help! I need to know what we can do and what rights my in-laws have to stand on.

Your narrative is confusing. If the guardians want to change things, they may go to the court and request whatever relief they want. If they don't, somebody else who is a party to the proceedings who objects to their actions can try to convince the court to change its existing orders.

If you read everything. I said that the maternal grandparents no longer have guardianship. The father stepped in and him and his mother decided he wanted to take custody. However, the maternal grandparents are still primary caregivers because all the paternal side of her family work. The child is confused why she goes back and forth on weekends and does not like going to the fathers house. The maternal gradparents want to know what are their rights to stand on to get custody.

I read your narrative. As I said, it was confusing. Slow down, organize your thoughts, and write more clearly.

Who currently has custody.

As said 2 times before, The father has legal custody. He however is not very involved. His mom and her boyfriend watch the child when she is there on the weekends. During the week the maternal grandparents take care of her. I need to know what rights do grandparents have specifically once they have already had guardianship in the past? The only reason they were released is because the father stepped in and took custody unexpectedly.

Your attitude is uncalled for.

They can consult a lawyer to clarify their rights.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast