Default Receiving stolen property felony

My roommate is being charged with receiving stolen property valued at $15,000(a felony). He had the property in the back of his truck covered completely in tarps and wrapped with string. The object weighed 250 lbs so when he got to the apartment where we live he called me on the phone to come out and help him bring the object into his bedroom of the four bedroom apartment. I went out to his truck and helped him bring the object to his room. That was the last I saw of the object and never saw it without tarps covering it. I asked him what the object was but he said that it was a project and I couldn't see it until finished. The next thing I know the Kentucky State Police took him to jail. Could I be charged with anything? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: receiving stolen property felony

Quote Quoting affirmative
    View Post
    My roommate is being charged with receiving stolen property valued at $15,000(a felony). He had the property in the back of his truck covered completely in tarps and wrapped with string. The object weighed 250 lbs so when he got to the apartment where we live he called me on the phone to come out and help him bring the object into his bedroom of the four bedroom apartment. I went out to his truck and helped him bring the object to his room. That was the last I saw of the object and never saw it without tarps covering it. I asked him what the object was but he said that it was a project and I couldn't see it until finished. The next thing I know the Kentucky State Police took him to jail. Could I be charged with anything? Thanks for the help!
    Possibly......

Kentucky statutes state:

514.110 Receiving stolen property.
    (1) A person is guilty of receiving stolen property when he receives, retains, or disposes of movable property of another knowing that it has been stolen, or having reason to believe that it has been stolen, unless the property is received, retained, or disposed of with intent to restore it to the owner.

(2) The possession by any person of any recently stolen movable property shall be prima facie evidence that such person knew such property was stolen.

(3) Receiving stolen property is a Class A misdemeanor unless the value of the property is three hundred dollars ($300) or more, in which case it is a Class D felony; or unless:

(a) The property is a firearm, regardless of the value of the firearm, in which case it is a Class D felony; or

(b) The property is anhydrous ammonia, regardless of the value of the ammonia, in which case it is a Class D felony unless it is proven that the person violated this section with the intent to manufacture methamphetamine in violation of KRS 218A.1432, in which case it is a Class B felony for the first offense and a Class A felony for each subsequent offense.
    514.030 Theft by unlawful taking or disposition -- Penalties.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in KRS 217.181 or 218A.1418, a person is guilty of theft by unlawful taking or disposition when he unlawfully:

(a) Takes or exercises control over movable property of another with intent to
    deprive him thereof; or

(b) Obtains immovable property of another or any interest therein with intent to benefit himself or another not entitled thereto.

(2) Theft by unlawful taking or disposition is a Class A misdemeanor unless the value of the property is three hundred dollars ($300) or more, in which case it is a Class D felony; or unless:

(a) The property is a firearm (regardless of the value of the firearm), in which
    case it is a Class D felony; or

(b) The property is anhydrous ammonia (regardless of the value of the ammonia), in which case it is a Class D felony unless it is proven that the person violated this section with the intent to manufacture methamphetamine in violation of KRS 218A.1432, in which case it is a Class B felony for the first offense and a Class A felony for each subsequent offense.

1. Sponsored Links