Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Surgery stated not performed

Three years ago my wife had to have both of her ovaries removed do to cists. The surgery took 3.5 hours and we have the Doctors report stating that both ovaries were removed. Since the surgery my wife has continued to experience the same paint that required the surgery three years ago.

She went back to the Doctor and he stated that she may have a couple of small cists but would be okay. Long story short she went for a second and third opinion and thru a CAT, black and white ultra sound and a color image ultra sound she still has both ovaries with a 4cm cists in her right ovary and is scheduled for another surgery.

If the Doctor reported removing both ovaries three years ago and my wife now finds out she still has both ovaries is this medical malpractice?

Default Re: Surgery stated not performed

Q: If the Doctor reported removing both ovaries three years ago and my wife now finds out she still has both ovaries is this medical malpractice?

A: Sounds like it to me.

A review of the records would be necessary. Some cysts may be very tricky. COnsult a medmal attorney.

Quote Quoting booboohal
    View Post
    If the Doctor reported removing both ovaries three years ago and my wife now finds out she still has both ovaries is this medical malpractice?
    Medical malpractice includes negligence which is what you might be questioning?

There are a few questions about your wife's surgery that you may be able to decided whether you want to pursue a malpractice suit against her surgeon. And if you have the operative report you may be able to answer the questions.

I am curious about the 2nd and 3rd opinions. What did they say when she told them the ovaries were removed?

Look at the op report and see the preop and postop diagnosis. Does it say a bilateral oophorectomy? It is not normally done for cysts; more common in ovarian cancer or breast ca.

If she has PID it is common to remove the cysts and have them return. It should have been explained to her.

Before you decide to see an attorney you might ask the other doctor(s) to tell you how it was possible the ovaries once removed have reappeared.

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post

Before you decide to see an attorney you might ask the other doctor(s) to tell you how it was possible the ovaries once removed have reappeared.

I think that is the crux of the matter deadlock. OP wants to know how she has ovaries if the original doc was supposed to have removed them.

I suspect divine intervention,

or OP is mistaken as to what procedure was intended to be performed or was actually performed. Things change sometimes once the doc gets in there and what may have been described as "permission to perform" is understood as "will be performed" but due to findings during the procedure, the possibility that was talked about prior to surgery was not a neccessity. Sometimes they must plan for a worse case scenario but end up with better than that.

Now understand, I'm not trying to correct you, deadlock. I understand your position and believe that OP needs to verify that the ovaries were reportedly removed, or was actually even a possibility of being removed, during the origianl procedure.

Now, since I have totaly discounted the fact OP claims to have the surgical report, if I am way off base and the report does indeed state the ovaries were removed and it was your understanding that was the procedure that was intended to be performed, call an attorney.

The insurance company would probably like to know as well as insurance fraud is not well recieved.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I think that is the crux of the matter deadlock. OP wants to know how she has ovaries if the original doc was supposed to have removed them.

I suspect divine intervention,

or OP is mistaken as to what procedure was intended to be performed or was actually performed. Things change sometimes once the doc gets in there and what may have been described as "permission to perform" is understood as "will be performed" but due to findings during the procedure, the possibility that was talked about prior to surgery was not a neccessity. Sometimes they must plan for a worse case scenario but end up with better than that.

Now understand, I'm not trying to correct you, deadlock. I understand your position and believe that OP needs to verify that the ovaries were reportedly removed, or was actually even a possibility of being removed, during the origianl procedure.

Now, since I have totaly discounted the fact OP claims to have the surgical report, if I am way off base and the report does indeed state the ovaries were removed and it was your understanding that was the procedure that was intended to be performed, call an attorney.

The insurance company would probably like to know as well as insurance fraud is not well recieved.
    JK, you thought I didn't realized the person with the question may actually be mistaken?

I think that it is understood that there was a misunderstanding about the surgery. That's the idea of looking at preop and postop diagnosis- there's a difference "going in" and what they actually do, as you said.

And I think that if they have already had additional physicians take a look at his wife's case they may tell him why the ovaries were not removed, as you said the crux of the matter. At least before they make an appointment with a malpractice attorney.

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    JK, you thought I didn't realized the person with the question may actually be mistaken?
    I feared you may have taken that the wrong way. It wasn't meant to be offensive amd yes, I figured you did understand. It was meant to be a bit on the sarcstic side. It seems like thins never look the same to others as they do to me.

OP never did say what the original doc said about the situation nor did he infer the other docs had actually reviewed the op reports.

The OP has already gone, in their head, past the point of investigating how or why it is as it is now and are questioning malpractice concerns. I only meant to add to your post with how and why there could be misunderstandings that could result in the current situation.

The very first step, I believe, woulld be to call the origianl doc and ask. The other docs are obviously not privy to the original consults between OP's wife and the origianl doc. They may very well be no more informed and able to explain the situation than you and they definatley do not know what was actually said.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I feared you may have taken that the wrong way. It wasn't meant to be offensive amd yes, I figured you did understand. It was meant to be a bit on the sarcstic side. It seems like thins never look the same to others as they do to me.

OP never did say what the original doc said about the situation nor did he infer the other docs had actually reviewed the op reports.

The OP has already gone, in their head, past the point of investigating how or why it is as it is now and are questioning malpractice concerns. I only meant to add to your post with how and why there could be misunderstandings that could result in the current situation.

The very first step, I believe, woulld be to call the origianl doc and ask. The other docs are obviously not privy to the original consults between OP's wife and the origianl doc. They may very well be no more informed and able to explain the situation than you and they definatley do not know what was actually said.
    Sounds like we're on the same page. I think if he returns he'll see that answers to those questions need to be answered first. Then he may or may not have a case (depending on the answer) to consider.

When I read his question it sounded like he thought the doctor didn't remove the ovaries as a mistake. So that's why I emphasize finding out postop diagnosis.

I have the report the Doctor submitted to the hospital stating that the right ovary was removed in hole with sized notated. As for the left the report states that it was removed in two separate pieces stating sizes.

The lab report from the Doctor states a whole right ovary was examined with size and a hole left ovary was examined with size and the findings.

The Doctor is still stating that he removed them and one of the ultra sounds is from a Doctors office that he sent her to that knew the ovaries were removed but stated the ultra sound shown other wise.

As for the Doctor that now is doing the up coming surgery when they asked my wife if she still had her ovaries she stated at this point I donít know. This doctor does not know about the bilateral because we donít want to be sent back to the original Doctor which has already happened since the other Doctors did not want to touch her after reading her entire medical history.

Quote Quoting booboohal
    View Post
    I have the report the Doctor submitted to the hospital stating that the right ovary was removed in hole with sized notated. As for the left the report states that it was removed in two separate pieces stating sizes.

The lab report from the Doctor states a whole right ovary was examined with size and a hole left ovary was examined with size and the findings.

The Doctor is still stating that he removed them and one of the ultra sounds is from a Doctors office that he sent her to that knew the ovaries were removed but stated the ultra sound shown other wise.

As for the Doctor that now is doing the up coming surgery when they asked my wife if she still had her ovaries she stated at this point I donít know. This doctor does not know about the bilateral because we donít want to be sent back to the original Doctor which has already happened since the other Doctors did not want to touch her after reading her entire medical history.
    What is the preoperative diagnosis? What is the postoperative diagnosis?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast