Question Friend got caught shoplifting at Target in New Jersey

[North Jersey]

Ok I am 15 and my friend that shoplifted is 16. The other two kids were 15 as well.

We walked into Target, then I went to the snack stand, the shoplifter went to shoplift a TechDeck skateboard thing worth about 2 dollars, the other two just walked around. Then we met up, he told us some guy saw him and said to the shoplift "Dont get caught" and tryed to leave. We were at the doors when someone talked to the shoplifter, which turns out to be the guy who said "Dont get caught" and then I saw two target employees approaching from the rear. The guy who talked to the shoplifter earlier and now I noticed had a red shirt on under his coat, I assume a target shirt. The shoplifter has stolen about 5 video games (20 value each) and has not been caught. Me and my 2 other friends who didnt steal anything got our bikes and left. We dont know what happend to him.
    I would like to know what do you think will happen to him, and can anything happen to me and my 2 friends who didnt help him or steal anything? Like when he was doing the stealing we werent even around him, only time we were with him when we were all walking out and entering the building.

Default Re: Friend got caught shoplifting at Target [New Jersey]

Quote Quoting ginx123
    View Post
    [North Jersey]

Ok I am 15 and my friend that shoplifted is 16. The other two kids were 15 as well.

We walked into Target, then I went to the snack stand, the shoplifter went to shoplift a TechDeck skateboard thing worth about 2 dollars, the other two just walked around. Then we met up, he told us some guy saw him and said to the shoplift "Dont get caught" and tryed to leave. We were at the doors when someone talked to the shoplifter, which turns out to be the guy who said "Dont get caught" and then I saw two target employees approaching from the rear. The guy who talked to the shoplifter earlier and now I noticed had a red shirt on under his coat, I assume a target shirt. The shoplifter has stolen about 5 video games (20 value each) and has not been caught. Me and my 2 other friends who didnt steal anything got our bikes and left. We dont know what happend to him.
    I would like to know what do you think will happen to him, and can anything happen to me and my 2 friends who didnt help him or steal anything? Like when he was doing the stealing we werent even around him, only time we were with him when we were all walking out and entering the building.
    Did he get arrested ?

Did the store say anything to you or your two friends when you left?

I have no clue if he got arrested, havent been able to contact him. And me and my friends were outside the store while he got caught or talked to, so no, they did not talk to me or my two friends outside the store.

Quote Quoting ginx123
    View Post
    I have no clue if he got arrested, havent been able to contact him. And me and my friends were outside the store while he got caught or talked to, so no, they did not talk to me or my two friends outside the store.
    You and your two friends are most likely not going to get into trouble. If they caught any of you on surveillance helping him, then that may be a different story.

So if I'm clear on this, he stole an item that had a value of $2.00?

If they called the police, they may want to have him charged criminally.

In New Jersey, shoplifting is a disorderly persons offense if the full retail value of the merchandise is less than $200.

For a first offense, he would probably be looking at probation, fines and at least 10 days community service.

Also from New Jersey statutes:

2A:61C-1. Shoplifting, retail thefts, civil action; provided

(3) A civil penalty payable to the merchant in an amount of up to $150.

b. A parent, guardian or other person having legal custody of a minor who commits the offense of shoplifting or the offense of theft of food or drink from an eating establishment shall be liable to the merchant for the damages specified in subsection a. of this section. This subsection shall not apply to a parent whose parental custody and control of such minor has been removed by court order, decree, judgment, military service, or marriage of such infant, or to a foster parent of such minor.

c. If a merchant institutes a civil action pursuant to the provisions of this section, the prevailing party in that action shall be entitled to an award of reasonable attorney's fees and reasonable court cost.

Well, all we did is enter target with him and exit target with him, thats it.

This time he attempted to steal an item worth approx $2.00 +/- $.50
    But in last month he has stolen about 3-4 other items worth approx 19.99 each, but was not caught doing so.

Also, one random question, Can you drink from a soda fountain just with your mouth because I see no signs saying you need a cup to drink out of the fountain. What you pay for at the snack bar is for a cup, not any soda.

Quote Quoting ginx123
    View Post
    This time he attempted to steal an item worth approx $2.00 +/- $.50
    But in last month he has stolen about 3-4 other items worth approx 19.99 each, but was not caught doing so.

Also, one random question, Can you drink from a soda fountain just with your mouth because I see no signs saying you need a cup to drink out of the fountain. What you pay for at the snack bar is for a cup, not any soda.
    That would be stealing.

You didn't do that did you?

no I did not do that, I was just wondering.

1. Sponsored Links