Default Theft by Check in Texas

My husband wrote a bad check a few years ago. The store prosecuted; we were unaware, as we moved, and received no notification. A year ago he was stopped for a minor traffic violation, and arrested. He had apparently missed the court date since the info was mailed to our previous address. (His fault, since he hadn't updated his change of address on driver's license.). Because he failed to show up in court for first court date, he was not allowed bail, and served 6 days in jail. He had to pay no restitution when released, as they said his time spent in jail paid all fees. The check was under 300.00. He recently lost his job due to financial problems with the company, and in applying for other jobs, has flunked the background checks. Is there anything we can do about this? We really don't have money to hire a lawyer, but we also cannot believe that this check will effect his ability to get hired anywhere. No matter where you apply for a job, they do a background check. Any advice?

Default Re: Theft by Check in Texas

Q: Any advice?

A: Have your husband disclose this before anyone asks about it.

I mentioned that to my husband. He didn't think that would do any good. I thought being honest might help them overlook the problem.

Quote Quoting resource1
    View Post
    I mentioned that to my husband. He didn't think that would do any good. I thought being honest might help them overlook the problem.
    You are correct; your husband is wrong.

thank you we will give it a try.

If he received dferred adjuducation, he can seal the record through an order of nondisclosure which will prevent most employers from acessing his records as long as the private reporting companies are notified of the order. If he was in JP or municipal court and received deferred adjudication, he can likely expunge (Which deletes) the record. If he received an actual conviction, there isn't much that can be done. If you don't know the disposition, contact the court that his case was in. 80% of companies do background checks these days,so until you get this taken care of it would be best to be honest. If you do get it sealed or expunged then you can legally deny the occurrence of the event.

The honesty thing doesn't always work either, I have no idea how many jobs...to many to count.... I have applied for and been completely upfront with them about my Midemeanor and explained the situation to them, and then have them tell me, they did not think it would be a problem, tell me they have people there that have felonies.... and thank me for my honesty, and then I get denied the job, or have been offered jobs and then they withdrawl the offer because of my background. Honesty is the best policy, but doesnt always prove to work either.

1. Sponsored Links