Default Is it Possible to Revoke a Bond

My husband was arrested on two sepaerate warrants, one for theft by conversion and one for theft by deception (we are in GA). My father co-signed a bond for him in the amount of $28,000 (I paid the bondsman $2800.00), and he wa released to await court date, which we have not yet received notice of. In this area, I am told it may be a year or more before the date is set (It has been 2 months so far).

I am beginning to get nervous about my husband possibly taking flight (he has a long history of money crimes and is looking at serving several years for this), my main concern being that my father signed for this bond and I would hate for him to get stuck in the end. If there comes a time that I am sure my husband will not appear, can my father have the bond revoked (I don't care about getting back the $2800.00, just don't want dad to be stuck responsible for the $28,000.00).

Thanks in advance for any response.

Default Re: Possible to Revoke Bond?

Perhaps as a first step you and your father should discuss these concerns with the bail bondsman.

....but is it up to the bondsman as to whether or not the bond is revoked?? I mean does he have the say, or can my father just tell him to revoke it and he has to do it?? Or can he refuse, saying basically "Too bad, so sad"??

Q: is it up to the bondsman as to whether or not the bond is revoked?

A: The court must approve the revocation.

Q: I mean does he have the say, or can my father just tell him to revoke it and he has to do it?? Or can he refuse, saying basically "Too bad, so sad"?

A: See first answer.

Check the terms of the contract between yourselves and the bondsman as to what you can request. As SeniorJudge points out, the ultimate decision as to whether to continue, revoke, or modify the bond is the court's.

But recall it's also the bondsman's money on the line, not just your 10%. He has an incentive to protect his money.

I know this sounds kind of hammy but in a recent "Dog" episode, the co-signer of a bond did in fact rescind their agreement and the gang simply returned the guy to jail.

As the others have posted, talk to the bondsman.

I do not believe the courts can (maybe will but I truly believe it is can) require the bondsman to continue to maintain the guarantee beyond what he believes is reasonable If the bond can be cancelled is a contractual agreement between dad and the bondsman. There may be some procedural requirements the bondsman is required to fulfill for the courts but I believe it is possible.

Your father has the right to revoke your husband bond any time he wants. All he has to do is either write a letter to the bondsmen saying He feels that your husband is thinking of leaving state or just not wanting to show up for court. Or just call the bondsmen and tell him. I would write the letter and certify it to the bondsmen. So when your husband would happen to fail to appear that would save you and your father from paying the bond. That is if it had to go to court.

Default Re: Is it Possible to Revoke a Bond

In my state the bondsmen can revoke the bond if flight is suspected. Court has nothing to do with it when a bondsman takes the bond. The court only sets the bond, whether you make bond through a bondsman or not is your business.They are legally responsible to get you back to court or stand to lose a lot of money. Believe me, they'll revoke it. Think twice, this may really harm your marriage!

Default yes he can

ur father can any time he wants to u dont need no letter u can call the bondsman up to do this bonds man has a lot in this to, u can write a letter if u want it covers ur a-s.

Default Re: yes he can

Quote Quoting blue222
    View Post
    ur father can any time he wants to u dont need no letter u can call the bondsman up to do this bonds man has a lot in this to, u can write a letter if u want it covers ur a-s.
    I would think the situation is resolved by this time. If you notice, the last post before yours was almost 2 years ago and even that was kind of late to the party.

1. Sponsored Links