Default Threatened With Eviction From a Rent-To-Own Property

I got caught up in a rent 2 own situation and now after 6 years the original owner's wife wants the house back. She's trying to evict me. The agreement was made with her and her late husband. Now she's remarried and wants the house. I am not sure whether to approach this as a real estate or tenant-landlord situation. anyone know a good real estate lawyer I need to file an injunction ASAP. Time is very critical Thanks!

Default Re: Rent 2 Own

What does your written contract say about this situation?

Default Re: Threatened With Eviction From a Rent-To-Own Property

I was given in her handwriting a paper that states this was a rent to own agreement and once I make the last payment or she passed away then the house would be placed into my name alone. She signed and her now deceased husband signed. The problem was her name wasn't on my property in the first place just her husband. They hired a lawyer (the woman's friend) who was supposed to make my document a legal document. I turned over the agreement to her. I haven't seen her since. Then I found out that she was unable to practice law at that time and has been disbarred soon after. I tracked her down and she said she was willing to testify or write and affadavit of the situation.

"She" being the lawyer who took (and lost?) the original agreement?

If you wish to pursue this, get that statement and consult a real estate lawyer about whether it is sufficient to support a legal claim to enforce the "rent to own" agreement. I doubt that the owner is going to change her mind without at least the threat of imminent litigation.

I have been trying to get a real estate lawyer haven't been to successful. Any recommendation for the Los Angeles area? Also, I was told that I could file criminal and/or civil charges on the person that is trying to take my home. Do you know what are the most common for these types of cases? Fraud? Illegal Eviction? Breach of Contract? Thank you very much in advance for all your help.

To prove a breach of contract, you have to demonstrate that a contract existed. If the other person denies that there is a contract, what evidence do you have at this point? Did you get that statement from the lawyer?

For finding a local lawyer you may wish to look at these resources.

At this point I have yet to receive the affadavit from the former lawyer. All I have is witness that are the person who I had the agreement with family. Some contractors who have done work on my house. I don't know what else to do but I do know I just can't hand this lady my house. Especially all I have invested...my time, my money, and all the things I did for her and her previous husband. She offered me money to pay her new husband to find a house so that he can get some work. She is trying to get him work. Is that some type of fraud? Now that my deadline is approaching she is trying to send workers over to my house to fix up my front and back yard as if she is either getting my property ready to sell or rent out. What can I do about this?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    "She" being the lawyer who took (and lost?) the original agreement?

If you wish to pursue this, get that statement and consult a real estate lawyer about whether it is sufficient to support a legal claim to enforce the "rent to own" agreement. I doubt that the owner is going to change her mind without at least the threat of imminent litigation.

Here is your answer on what you need to do.

1. Sponsored Links