Default Bogus bids on eBay

I am selling a PS3 on eBay and I have noticed that a lot of the auctions are going from like $15,000 to $999,999,000 which is completely bogus. The people bidding on these auctions are people who have only been eBay members for a day or so and they all have a feedback rating of "0" or even negative!

I'm not sure if eBay is aware of this happening or not, but I hope they do something to prevent this.

Anyways, my question is this. When someone bid's on an auction on eBay, are they legally entering into a contract which legally obligates them to pay for what they bid on? Can I sue the eBay user who places a bid on my auction, wins the auction, and then doesn't pay?

If eBay does nothing to help prevent this or does not cooperate in returning any monies lost during the listing of this auction, can I sue them for damages I have suffered?

Chances of winning? Worth my time and effort? Thanks!

Default Re: Bogus bids on eBay

Q: Anyways, my question is this. When someone bid's on an auction on eBay, are they legally entering into a contract which legally obligates them to pay for what they bid on?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I sue the eBay user who places a bid on my auction, wins the auction, and then doesn't pay?

A: Yes, you will have to sue in the bidder's home state.

Q: If eBay does nothing to help prevent this or does not cooperate in returning any monies lost during the listing of this auction, can I sue them for damages I have suffered?

A: No. Read your agreement. Besides, those are not direct damages but collateral damages, which are very hard to prove, much less collect.

You also need to read eBay's policies on BID withdrawal.

Once upon a time legitimate sellers would get scammed by a team of bidders. For example, someone is selling a PS3 figuring they would get $500+ for it. Bidder A bids $50 for it, then bidder B comes in right after and bids $5000. Of course, a legitimate buyer isn't going to pay $5001 for a PS3. During the last minute of the auction, bidder B would withdraw their bid leaving the $50 bid from bidder A the winner of the auction.

Granted, I don't think you can do this now, but there must be some policy in place to protect against eroneous bids. IMO, I feel these bidders are just pissed off that people are trying to profit off the resale of PS3s.

#1 You can block bidders with negative feedback ratings.

#2 You only loose listing fees, and if you turn it in as a non-paying bidder, you will get you final value fees back.

#3 You can cancel all bids that you do not feel are legit.

1. Sponsored Links