Default Can I Sue My Probation Officer for Slandering Me to the Court

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Pa. a parole officer and his supervisor slandered someone with lies and other untrue information made on parole violation papers to the court/judge. with the evidence in hand, how much time does one have to file a lawsuit specifically concerning the slander and defamation of character in order to imprison an individual on fictictious and made up information?

Default Re: Can I Sue My Probation Officer for Slandering Me to the Court

If you held a parole violation hearing and prevailed, then it's not an issue. Nobody believed the accusation. If you chose to enter a guilty plea, or were convicted and either lost your appeal or chose not to appeal, then the allegations were established in court and it will ordinarily be an arduous task to refute them.

Further, you are likely to find that the statements are privileged against a lawsuit for defamation.

The statute of limitations for defamation is ordinarily one year. If you are interested in exploring a possible civil rights claim, you will want to discuss the detailed facts and time line with a lawyer in your state and, if you were convicted, whether the conviction would prevent a claim against your probation officer as an impermissible collateral attack on your criminal sentence.

1. Sponsored Links