Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bedford, Massachusetts, United States

Default How Long Will DCF Keep a Child in Protective Custody

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Massachusetts

My child was removed from my home in September because I had allowed his father to be around when I wasn't supposed to (domestic violence history.) He came home two weeks later to be in my physical custody, with DCF keeping temporary legal, along with me signing a list of things to comply with in order for it to happen.

I have two court proceedings coming up, the pre-trial on the 13th, and the trial in May.

I don't really have a specific question but more so curious as to wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar case and how long it took to wrap it up?

I've complied with everything. They gave me a good report at my status hearing.

Default Re: How Long to Expect Dcf to Retain 'Legal' Custody of My Child

The answer to your question is: As long as they want to.

Why don't you ask your case worker how long that might be.

Okay... I was more asking people who are familiar with this particular situation, maybe some other mothers dealing with it. But anyway, my caseworker cannot tell me that really, because they have an attorney. I have an attorney as well, but they can't say how long, they just keep re-checking progress made at court proceedings.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

There is no standard time. It can take as long or as short as it takes for them to be sure that you won't continue to endanger your child(ren)
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

I'm not endangering my children...

But thanks.

Quote Quoting KelleighH
    View Post
    I'm not endangering my children...

But thanks.
    Well if that were true, DCF wouldn't have your children. After all, they've never been in the vast majority of households. They don't take your kids away because they believe they're cute and have nothing else to do with their time. You put them in the home with a man who beat you so badly that they saw fit to intervene and when they told you not to have him near them, you did it anyway. THAT. IS. ENDANGERING. THEM because you know what? Kids are affected mentally by the idiocy of their parents long after their parents are having sex with each other again.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Hold up, you don't know anything you are talking about.

Firstly, I was not beaten, by any means. Secondly, this man had a domestic violence history, with family members - not myself. Thirdly, you went way out of scope from what I was asking or talking about. You cannot make assumptions.

You can google my state and see how professional and accurate DCF is here, not at all. And DCF doesn't have my children, so re-read my posts before making crass comments. They have legal custody of my youngest, he lives with me and has been home for four months now.

You ought to be removed from the board if you're that insensitive. And DCF wrongly takes away children for lesser reasons, believe me, you're clearly unfamiliar.

Quote Quoting KelleighH
    View Post

Firstly, I was not beaten, by any means. Secondly, this man had a domestic violence history, with family members - not myself. Thirdly, you went way out of scope from what I was asking or talking about. You cannot make assumptions.

You can google my state and see how professional and accurate DCF is here, not at all. And DCF doesn't have my children, so re-read my posts before making crass comments. They have legal custody of my youngest, he lives with me and has been home for four months now.

You ought to be removed from the board if you're that insensitive. And DCF wrongly takes away children for lesser reasons, believe me, you're clearly unfamiliar.
    The state has LEGAL CUSTODY OF YOUR CHILD... you have NO DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY. You think that makes you mother of the year????? Keep hope alive. They took your child OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, for what? Ice cream?

I understand that you would like to believe that a state organization in charge of child welfare is looking out for the best interest of children, but as I invited you to do before, please look into DCF in my particular state. They are corrupt. There is even a website about my state inparticular's branch of DCF (www.massoutrage.com) and let me inform you, I am not too proud to own up to mistakes as a parent, or else I would not be on this board. Mother of the year? I don't think anyone posting here is. However, parents do get wrongfully accused of things many a time, and children do get removed based on false allegations as well.

I am sorry you are such a judgmental person incapable of actually offering advice or anything this board is actually intended for. I do strongly encourage you not jump to conclusions. You outright stated I was beaten so badly my kids were removed when I never even in fact stated that, not even remotely.

I think it takes a lot for a mother to come on to this board, particularly this section, and post of their legal proceedings and reach out for input. Those who are in denial or ashamed won't do so. I understand having a boyfriend that was not favorable to the state's standards around my kids was not wise, but he has not been around in quite some time, which is why my son is now home.

Quote Quoting KelleighH
    View Post
    Firstly, I was not beaten, by any means. You ought to be removed from the board if you're that insensitive. And DCF wrongly takes away children for lesser reasons, believe me, you're clearly unfamiliar.
    OP - read what you wrote below.
    Quote Quoting KelleighH
    View Post
    I was in bed with the kids when he came in and flipped out on me about this, took my phone and computer, pushed me down and strangled me repeatedly. My daughter saw most of it, cried hysterically, and he didn't care. He wouldn't let me leave the house, and I had no way of contacting anybody, so I got my daughter to sleep and passed out myself.
    Just last week, 'D' and I, having been being civil finally, were back in probate and he changed the custody to shared legal and changed the visits to unsupervised. Just yesterday we spent time together as a family, and he went through my phone, and started breaking things in my apartment including things my kids made me and pictures of them, screaming to my daughter that I was a whore and 'mommy can't keep her legs shut' as she's crying hysterically. He grabbed a knife and held it at his side, telling me he won't leave me breathing this time. To stop him from yelling so that it would stop scaring the older kids, I went outside to my van with Mason, and his mother picked him and the kids up shortly after.
    When I read the statements above I would describe you as having been beat.

And while I might believe, personally, that the person(s) that abused you endangered the children far more than you ever did and should bear the bulk of responsibility, it does not take away your culpability entirely. Once you were aware of the danger, and didn't act to remove the kids from that danger, you were endangering them. I really empathize and sympathize with you in this situation, but still find your denial that you have endangered your children concerning. You don’t deserve to be beat. The children do not deserve to be exposed to their mother being beat.

I really encourage you to continue working with the woman's shelter and as has been told to you before, you truly need legal representation to help you through this situation. I truly hope that there is a good resolution for you and the kids and that you, and they, remain safe in 2014.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast