Default Can an Adopted Child Still Receive Disability Benefits from the Biological Father

My ex husband and children's father receives disability benefits. My kids(after years of NO child support from him) started receiving benefits as well. Just a few months later my children's benefits were cut to pay for another child he had after we divorced. The child was in foster care and the fosters received benefits for the child. Well, this child was officially adopted by the foster family(not his family) months ago. First, should they still be receiving benefits for said child since he and the mother signed away their rights and the child has been legally adopted? And Second, Shouldn't the benefits that were going to that child be going BACK to my children now since that's where it came from?

Default Re: Can an Adopted Child Still Receive Disability Benefits from the Biological Father

Quote Quoting momof2kids0306
    View Post
    My ex husband and children's father receives disability benefits. My kids(after years of NO child support from him) started receiving benefits as well. Just a few months later my children's benefits were cut to pay for another child he had after we divorced. The child was in foster care and the fosters received benefits for the child. Well, this child was officially adopted by the foster family(not his family) months ago. First, should they still be receiving benefits for said child since he and the mother signed away their rights and the child has been legally adopted? And Second, Shouldn't the benefits that were going to that child be going BACK to my children now since that's where it came from?
    I know that social security survivors benefits survive an adoption, but I don't know if disability benefits do the same. I think that you should really be addressing your questions to the SSA, rather than to an internet forum.

I can tell you that if the disability benefits DO NOT survive the adoption, then eventually they will go back to your children.

Default Re: Can an Adopted Child Still Receive Disability Benefits from the Biological Father

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I know that social security survivors benefits survive an adoption, but I don't know if disability benefits do the same. I think that you should really be addressing your questions to the SSA, rather than to an internet forum.

I can tell you that if the disability benefits DO NOT survive the adoption, then eventually they will go back to your children.

I will be contacting SSA tomorrow then. My ex says they're contacting their lawyer, but he's lied a lot in the past so I'm taking matters into my own hands. Thanks for replying!

1. Sponsored Links