Default My Neighbor's Water Line and Meter Are in My Basement

My question involves an easement in the state of: Iowa
    My neighbors water meter and a shut off valve is in my house in the basement. I sent them formal notice and gave them 4 months to move water line. They refused. I turned off the water. (live in a town of 600) The owner of the house brought the sheriff and the very agressive, bullying mayor and threatened to send me to jail if I did not turn the water back on. Mayor said he would shut off my water. Isn't this my property? My understanding is that if the neighbors pipe breaks and damages my basement or foundation my insurance will not cover it because it is not my water line. Who pays for this??

Default Re: My Neighbors Water Line and Meter Are in My Basement

Were you planning on releasing an unmanned bulldozer with broken throttle linkage in your basement? What did the water department say regarding the issue, when you contacted them before shutting off the water? There may be an easement in place.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

did both properties come from a common parcel?

how long has it been like this?

how long have you lived in your home?

were you aware of the situation when you purchased your home?
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    did both properties come from a common parcel?

how long has it been like this?

how long have you lived in your home?

were you aware of the situation when you purchased your home?

I was not aware of the situation when I purchased the home. The house was built in 1910 and the house behind was build some years after that . At one point they shared a well. I have been in my home for 1 year. The issues I'm looking at are liability. The pipe comes in the south basement wall, it is sitting on bricks, and then goes through the water meter and back out the wall. I have had to replace many pipes due to their age. Who is responsible for replacing the pipes, if the pipes freeze (IOWA) and burst, who is responsible for that damage. My insurance will not cover a water line that is for someone elses house.

- - - Updated - - -

The bulldozer seems a little overkill. Was going to cap off the pipes at their entrance to the basement. Everyone had a 4 month notice before shutting off the water, which was enough time to at least put some things into place. Instead the only thing they did was send a letter 4 months later saying it was someone elses responsibility. No easement, except for the driveway on the east side.

actually, there is either an easement or a license. You don't secretly install waterlines and meters in a basement without the owner knowing about it so somebody, sometime had to have approved the installation. There is more to the situation that you have not discovered yet.

as to capping the line; not a good idea.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...e.199.21.3.pdf
    reference 21.3(5)
    It may be deemed a service connection under 21.3(6)
    Go to this site and file a complaint to force the city utility to modify their extension around your house.
    http://www.state.ia.us/government/co...ing/index.html
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I don't know what disagreeable is talking about but what he is linking does not say anything about the city building anything.

1. Sponsored Links