Default Firing a Contractor Part-Way Through a Job, Payment Issues

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: TEXAS

I hired a guy who is a contractor for home depot to tile a standing shower. I did not go through home depot he is just doing it as a side job. I am not satisfied with his work. I have gotten a second opinion from a licensed tiler and he said it is in fact a bad job. The job is about 70% done, I don't want him to finish the job because now its going to have to be redone. I have not payed him anything because he said he didn't need payment until work was complete. He said it was going to be 1350.00 for the whole job, materials included, except the tile. Although the cement boards that he used I could tell were scraps from previous jobs. My questions are: Do I pay him in full? Do I only give him partial payment, if so how do i determine how much I pay him? Can he sue me for the rest of the money? Should I just reimburse for materials? Even though they were scraps from other jobs?

Default Re: Poor Tiling Job, I Don't Want Him to Finish, Should I Still Pay

Have you discussed your dissatisfaction with him?
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Yes I have but he claims that's how he always does it and its fine. He has also been 1-3 hours late every time and left me waiting all day one day and he didn't show. I am just done with his lack of professionalism and poor work. He does not know I asked a second opinion. I just want to tell him in a civil way that I don't want him to continue anymore.

Pay then sue. (assuming he has actually done a substandard job which will be costly to fix)

If you don't pay he can place a mechanic's lien on your home. It also will make the timing of legal action up to him instead of up to you.

Or negotiate a settlement, and have him sign an agreement that he's accepting the payment as satisfaction of any debt or claim.

Is this a licensed contractor, a guy you found in a Home Depot parking lot who raised his hand when you asked "Who installs tile", or something in between those two extremes?

So I should pay him in full even if the job isn't finished? I never signed a contract, all I have is a piece of paper that he wrote saying "1350 for standing shower all materials included except tile" I found him through a company who did my carpets and I asked the installer if he knew anyone who did tiling and that's how I got referred to this guy. We really liked him at first he was quick to come and give me a quote and seemed ready to work. He showed me pictures of jobs and it looked good. Should I ask to see his license? Like I said he is a contractor for Home Depot but for all I know he could be telling a lie.

Home Depot works with contractors who do installation work, but they're independent contractors. They guy may have been lying, he may work for a licensed contractor and not be one, or he may have found a trick that gets him more pay than the other guys who hang out in the Home Depot parking lot looking for work.

See what you can learn here.

1. Sponsored Links