Default Fraudulent Restraining Order and Termination of Parental Rights for Adoption

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Arkansas

A little history - I left my abusive ex a few years ago. I left my daughter with his mother so I could go to Texas to find a new place and I was to go back to get her when all was settled. I did not realize, when I did this, that she and my ex would claim that I left and abandoned them both. He came to Dallas after that, we actually worked on reconciling, or so I thought. During this time, he went behind my back and filed for divorce and full custody claiming he did not know where I was, had notice placed in the paper and got what he wanted from the court because I never received notice and was unable to attend. I didn't have the money to pursue getting her back and he has told me that he has restraining orders on me as well as having my parental rights terminated. I didn't know the law. I thought because he was able to get full custody without my participation that he could also terminate my parental rights the same way. I recently called the court and asked for any and all paperwork they have against me. All they have is the original divorce and custody papers. I have tried to reach out to my daughter, only to be shut down and threatened. He has threatened to hurt me or have me thrown in jail.

Also, my daughter does not live with him. She lives with his mother.

I received papers from the court in Arkansas on September 13th for a restraining order against me and the hearing is tomorrow. They claim that they are afraid I am going to kidnap her and that his mother adopted my daughter. I have never made such a threat and was never notified of any adoption, like I was never notified of the termination of my parental rights or the restraining order they claim to have already had against me. I am going to court to respond, but have not had time to find an attorney, nor do I really have the money, but I am going to try.

My questions are, can I ask the court for a postponement so I can have reasonable time to find an attorney? How can I go about finding one pro bono? Are there any organizations what might help me considering this is an abusive situation, even though I don't live in Arkansas?

Also, I would like to work on getting custody of my daughter. IF she was adopted, she was adopted fraudulently. IF my parental rights were terminated, they were terminated fraudulently. If they can find me to serve me with THIS request for a restraining order, they could find me to serve me with all the other paperwork they claimed they filed against me as they have always known how to get a hold of me.

I didn't fight for her before because I was afraid of him and I didn't know the law. I believed him when he said he would hurt me and I believed him when he said he had my rights taken from me.

Default Re: Fraudulent Restraining Order and Termination of Parental Rights for Adoption

You have given us no information about what "I have tried to reach out to my daughter, only to be shut down" means. You say all of this happened "a few years ago" - after you failed to appear for custody proceedings, how much parenting time was ordered? If none, what happened when you went back to court to petition for access? How much contact have you had with your daughter since that time, and what was the nature of that contact? How much financial support have you provided? What have you done in relation to special events - Christmas, the child's birthday, and the like, if any? Throughout this period have you kept the custody court and/or your ex- appraised of your current address and phone number?

The adoption is supposed to have occurred when?

What inspired them to file this petition now?

I suggest that you try to appear in court, as scheduled, with a lawyer - or with the lawyer you retain having contacted the court to ask for an adjournment due to the scheduling conflict that prevents the lawyer from appearing. You can explore these resources.

Default Re: Fraudulent Restraining Order and Termination of Parental Rights for Adoption

Hopefully you showed up at the hearing. The hearing was presumably for the restraining order only.

Let us know if you have any other questions on the custody issues. Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links