Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question JC Penney Shoplifting

I'm just trying to figure things out. I've read some of the postings on here, but thought if I posted, I could get some updated info. Here's my situation:
    I was caught shoplifting from Jc Penneys. It was a $10.00 item. I was taken into a little room, the police were called, however I was not arrested. I was told there would be a warrant put out and the cops would come to my house to pick me up or I could turn myself in for arraignment. I told the officer that I would prefer to turn myself in because I live alone and have a young child, and I didn't want to be ina situation where I was going to jail and there was no one there to take care of him. He told me that I would not be notified when the warrant was issued. Basically leaving me in the dark and terrified to be at home. I asked them how long this process would take, they told me they were not sure. Anywhere from one day to several months. I also signed two pieces of paper....not sure what they were for, I was terrified, and didn't want to go to jail. The Penneys security gaurd told me that they would prosecute and that she would recommend a full sentence which is 93 days in jail. I know that I made a huge mistake and I
    honestly don't even know why I did it. So, here it what I am wondering:
    1. How long will this take?
    2. Am I going to go to jail? This is a ? for other people that may have been in the same situation. As I said I have a young child and no one to care for him. So I would like to know in advance if I have to make arrangements for someone to care for him.
    3. Is there a chance that this will not be prosecuted? Or is there something that I can do to make my chances of jail less likely?
    4. I've read about a diversion program. I have searched it online for my state. Many counties here have it, but I haven't seen anything for my county, would there be any other option?

I know that the most common response is to get a lawyer, but I don't want to pay a lawyer if not neccesary. I have spoken to one, he didn't give me a lot of info, just basically told me to lay low and not get arrested. And gave me his rates. I was hoping to get a little more info here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: Jc Penney Shoplifting....Help!

I was also wondering, when this happened, I had a friend with me that also stole an item. Will we be called to testify against each other? Thanks.

Default Re: Jc Penney Shoplifting....Help!

You can contact the court in your county, or a local lawyer, to see if there are diversion programs available and if you would qualify. The biggest factor in the outcome of this case is likely to be your prior record. First-time offenders usually receive probation. It is wise to make child care arrangements over taking a child to court.

Default Re: JC Penney Shoplifting

Thank you. I meant child care arrangements for jail time, not going to court. That part will be easy, it's the 93 days I am worried about. It was a first time offense for both myself and my friend.

Are you asking whether the taxpayers will have to pay not only your room and board but also for that of your child?

If you were sentenced to jail and failed to arrange for the care of your child in advance, your child would most likely end up in a foster home.

I do NOT want my son in a foster home. That is the point of this thread. To find out if other people had been in my situation and what the outcome was. That way I could make arrangements for my child so he is not in foster care! If my son were going to end up in foster care, I would disappear with my son and not return. The state of Michigan does nothing for children in foster care that is why there are sooo many lawsuits against DHS at the present time. I may have put myself in a compromising situation but I will not put my child into the same situation. Thank you for your time and comments regardless of how ineffective one of them was. So to Senior Judge, I ask why waste your time posting here with something that was not going to help me at all. Only to let some of your frustrations out on me, when I made it very clear that I was asking these questions so that I could make arrangements for my son if needed. That is, arrangements that you do NOT have to pay for.

...That way I could make arrangements for my child so he is not in foster care!....

Okay, not that you have cleared that up, I will say that yes, you should be making arrangements for your child so he is not in foster care.

panther10758 Guest

Is this your first offense if so there is very little chance of jail time. Also DA may choose to not pursue any actionover a $10.00 theft. Far as warrant you would most likely get a letter which is a notice to appear with a court date

This is a first time offense for both of us. My local court house has told me that they have a terminal in the court house that I can look to see if I have a warrant. I am scared to use the terminal because I think they will arrest me if I go in. Also wondering, if I am at home and they come to my house with the warrant, will I be allowed to call someone to pick up my child before I go to jail or do the cops take my son to foster care automatically. That is my biggest concern. I was wondering about prosecution over such a small amount as well, which is why I haven't paid a lawyer yet. I don't want to pay him and then not need him. So my next question is if they are going to prosecute me how long before they do. I am very scared. And I can't imagine feeling this way for months or longer. Any ideas? Thank you all very much.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast