Default Mother Refuses Court Ordered Visitation

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Connecticut The mother of my child and me just recently went to court after figuring I was the father three years after. We setup supervised visitation every weekend until the child got to know me. The mother agreed to the terms and acted like it was ok. The grandma called me up the next day and said I could come see her I agreed and my childs mother also asked the day before if I could buy toys and pull ups. I agreed.....upon her finding out I went to see our child when only the grandmother was there she immediately got mad. The visitation order has now been in affect for two weeks and I have not seen my child either weekend. I have filed for contempt and am waiting on the papers but I am scared that the court will not care too much about her being in contempt and probably allow her to keep doing it. Will the courts do much or am I just going to keep filling out these contempt papers and getting nowhere.

Default Re: Mother Refuses Court Ordered Visitation

Quote Quoting Coreyprintz
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Connecticut The mother of my child and me just recently went to court after figuring I was the father three years after. We setup supervised visitation every weekend until the child got to know me. The mother agreed to the terms and acted like it was ok. The grandma called me up the next day and said I could come see her I agreed and my childs mother also asked the day before if I could buy toys and pull ups. I agreed.....upon her finding out I went to see our child when only the grandmother was there she immediately got mad. The visitation order has now been in affect for two weeks and I have not seen my child either weekend. I have filed for contempt and am waiting on the papers but I am scared that the court will not care too much about her being in contempt and probably allow her to keep doing it. Will the courts do much or am I just going to keep filling out these contempt papers and getting nowhere.
    I am confused...

Are you saying that mom was supposed to supervise the visits, and you and grandma arranged a visit behind her back when mom wasn't present? That is why mom got mad?

Did you try actually communicating with mom (not text messages but actually speaking to her) before you filed for contempt? Mom will likely get no more than a lecture and a slap on the wrist for denying the scheduled visits, but you may also get a slap on the wrist for going behind her back and arranging a visit with her not present.

Yes the mom denied my visits, and yes we spoke she asked me to bring things for the child the day previous and then flipped out when the things were brought because she wasn't there I didn't know supervised visits just meant her I thought it didn't matter if the grandmother was there. Yes I contacted her and asked her would she let me see my child I went to the address she wanted me to see the child at and the mom said she was no longer bringing the child there I called the police and they said there was nothing they could do so now I am filing for contempt. I pretty much figured that's all that would happen she gets a slap on the wrist so if she keep denying me the child is that all that will happen? Basically I won't be seeing my child if the mom doesn't want me to and the court doesn't matter?

Yes, these things should matter to the Court.

But regardless of who gets any slaps on the wrist, if mom is refusing to comply with the visitation Order, you can and SHOULD file contempt. While the Court may be lenient the first time to both parties, the Judge should make it very clear at that time both of you are to follow the Order.

After that mom should be more inclined to follow the order to avoid another trip to court.

1. Sponsored Links