Cool Do Support Arrears Go to the Parent or the Child

My question involves child support in the State of: Texas
    I would like to know what are the rights of a father who has a child in college and is still paying child support. He pays for the child to attend college. Does the child support money have to go to the mother or can the child recieve the money for himself for his own expenses in college? The mother recieves government benefits for herself. The father is not required to take care of the mother. So since the child is no longer living in the house wioth his mother and is declared on his own away at college can the father pay child support money to the child instead?

Default Re: Child Support

Quote Quoting tfhill
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Texas
    I would like to know what are the rights of a father who has a child in college and is still paying child support. He pays for the child to attend college. Does the child support money have to go to the mother or can the child recieve the money for himself for his own expenses in college? The mother recieves government benefits for herself. The father is not required to take care of the mother. So since the child is no longer living in the house wioth his mother and is declared on his own away at college can the father pay child support money to the child instead?
    Who are you in this? Just for the record, child support goes to mom until a court order says differently.

Generally, a child in college needs a home to return to, similar in manner to a person who goes on a vacation.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

What does the order say re: when child support is to end?

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Generally, a child in college needs a home to return to, similar in manner to a person who goes on a vacation.
    Yes, this is so. My son's going off to college tomorrow. He'll be there, with room and board, about 9 months of the year for the next 4 years, most of it paid for with grant money. That doesn't mean my (mother's) expenses for him are over. I am maintaining a 2-bedroom apartment for him to come to when school's not in session. I'm not just getting rid of his furniture or putting it in storage. Then there are travel expenses and food for him when he's at home. He may pay some of that himself with summer job/work study earnings, but not all. I don't get child support, but those are expenses that must be considered - I am not maintaining only myself.

Quote Quoting ksheja
    View Post
    Yes, this is so. My son's going off to college tomorrow. He'll be there, with room and board, about 9 months of the year for the next 4 years, most of it paid for with grant money. That doesn't mean my (mother's) expenses for him are over. I am maintaining a 2-bedroom apartment for him to come to when school's not in session. I'm not just getting rid of his furniture or putting it in storage. Then there are travel expenses and food for him when he's at home. He may pay some of that himself with summer job/work study earnings, but not all. I don't get child support, but those are expenses that must be considered - I am not maintaining only myself.
    This is irrelevant. Unless the poster's support order states otherwise, child support in Texas ends by operation of law when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later.

Certainly, if the support order does not state that support continues post high school/at 18, it's irrelevant. OP has not posted back about what the court order actually says.

Quote Quoting EA1070a
    View Post
    This is irrelevant. Unless the poster's support order states otherwise, child support in Texas ends by operation of law when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later.
    Unless of course the parents agreed to something else in their orders...OR, as it appears in this case, if the payments being made are arrearage payments. (hint, look at the title to the thread).

OP, arrearage payments are a reimbursement to the custodial parent for money already spent, often years ago, in raising a child. That money belongs solely to mom, not to the child in any way, shape or form.

Default Re: Do Support Arrears Go to the Parent or the Child

Good point llworking, I missed the obvious.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Unless of course the parents agreed to something else in their orders...OR, as it appears in this case, if the payments being made are arrearage payments. (hint, look at the title to the thread).

OP, arrearage payments are a reimbursement to the custodial parent for money already spent, often years ago, in raising a child. That money belongs solely to mom, not to the child in any way, shape or form.
    Ha! Yep, you're correct. I completely missed the fact that this is for arrearages.

As for any current support, that's why I put in the bit about absent anything to the contrary in the orders.

At any rate, mea culpa.

1. Sponsored Links