Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Becoming a Police Officer with a Criminal Record

I was charged with burglary/grand theft felonies and petty larceny, I took a plea to misdeaner shoplifting and trespassing. I applied for a job as a federal police officer, will this automatically disqualify me or is it possible to now work as a police officer.?? when I read over the application it mentions felonies and domestic abuse as disqualifiers in which I have neither. So aaron what do you think?

Default Retail Fraud & Trespassing - Federal Employment

I am unable to estimate your chances. You may want to have somebody inquire on your behalf with the human resources office for the agency, to see if they will be more specific in relation to their policies. (You can call yourself, of course, but you might prefer not to.)

Most departments have as an eliminator, lack of respect for the law, so they can disqualify you for that. If on the other hand, this was something that happened many years ago, and you have been a model citizen since then, there is a chance it won't be that big of a deal. You have to be able to articulate you are now a changed man. One other thing to consider: There may be as many as 200 people applying for that one position. The Department will hire the most qualified person with the least amount of "skeletons" in the closet. If I were you, I would go back to school, get a degree. and do a great marketing job for yourself before you apply with a police agency.

Under the federal guidelines a misdemeanor conviction is not going to be an automatic disqualifier. However, a theft-related offense is likely to result in the agency disqualifying you in the background process. Theft shows a lack of honesty and is generally considered a "thumbs down" for an applicant.

Depending on what federal position you seek, AND, how far behind you this event is now.

You might consider seeking a pardon or expungement in your state (if possible) BEFORE applying as a federal officer. While you would still have to reveal it in the background process, it looks a little better than having it sitting there fat dumb and happy on a piece of paper.

- Carl

Default Don't apply for federal cop job with a crime of moral turpit

Don't apply until you get the expungement. Which misdemeanors can be classified as a crime of moral turpitude? These will disqualify you for any govt or cop job.

Default internal affairs

If you look up internal affairs, theres a web page for them. They mention all the arrests of the police all over the country. In one article a captain said they need officers so badly that they have lowered your standards. you can smoke pot 5 times and still get on the force. he said if he illimimated all police that smoked onse, he would be the only one behind the desk. Look up internal affairs. it was in yeasterday internet paper.

if i have a theft from an employer charge against me that was a misdimeanor and it happpend when i was under the age of 18, will that have any effect on me becoming a oplice officer?

Quote Quoting d-r-nel
    if i have a theft from an employer charge against me that was a misdimeanor and it happpend when i was under the age of 18, will that have any effect on me becoming a oplice officer?
    It's not an automatic disqualifier, but it COULD effect your chances - particularly depending on how old you are now. If you are 21 it will have a greater impact than if you are 31.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Default Re: Becoming a police officer with a criminal record

I succesfully completed 3 years probation under HYTA, though I was released approximately 20 months into the 36 month sentence for good behaviour. The charge I had plead guilty to was a felony: inciting a riot. I had a clear record before this and have had nothing more than a few speeding tickets since. This happened in Michigan in September 2001, and I was released from supervision around march of 2004. I am heavily considering applying for the state police in either Maine or Virginia. I am currently attending a community college for a transfer degree in criminal justice. Can anyone tell me how this will effect my chances of employement with a state police agency; will it automatically disqualify me? I know all agencies are different, but I have high hopes of getting in to one of these two. Thank you for any assistance!

Default Re: Becoming a police officer with a criminal record

A felony conviction on record is an automatic bar to employment as a peace officer pursuant to state and federal law.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast