Default Laws governing salaried employees in Indiana

I'm wondering if there are laws in place in Indiana governing salaried employees. Where I am employed I am on salary and do not receive overtime which I understand but if I miss or leave early I have been told that I must make this time up because I am expected to put in 40 hours. I have previously been employed by other companies as salaried and never had this happen. I am responsible and know that I am being paid for 40 and there are numerous times I put in over 40 hours. Please give me any input you can into this issue.

Thank you.

Default Re: Laws governing salaried employees in Indiana

While I think it's kind of petty, there is nothing in the law that says a salaried employee cannot be required to make up time.

May I ask then what the benefits to an employee being put on salary are? I am required by my supervisor to keep a time card, make up any time I might miss and when I work over (which is often) I do not receive overtime. I just don't see any benefit in being salary at this point. I understand it benefits the employer by not having to pay overtime but how is it benefiting myself? I'm just not certain that it is. I'm not trying to be petty, just trying to understand things.

Thank you for responding by the way, I appreciate the input and your knowledge.

Trish

An exempt employee (salaried is only a pay method) CANNOT have their pay docked when they work less than a full day. They CANNOT have their pay docked if they work less than whatever their employer has determined to be a full work week. This is true in all 50 states.

But despite what a great many people appear to believe, an exempt employee does not get to come and go as they please. They are still subject to whatever the employer's policy is regarding hours worked.

1. Sponsored Links