Default Cannot Renew License Due to Unpaid Fines that I Can't Afford to Pay

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

I have two fines from Los Angeles (one for no turn on red and missing my court date in April, one for not paying the metro fee in 2012) that have gotten SUPER expensive. My license expired last October and I havent needed to drive so I havent bothered renewing it. Now, I need my license but I cant renew it until I pay the $1300 that I owe. I can't afford to pay the fees all at once, and I have since moved out of LA and cant really afford to go back (I have a rescheduled court date on 7/30) and try to get them reduced either. What options do I have? Can I call the courthouses and get a payment plan? Is there any way to get the fines reduced?

If I drive with my license expired and probably on "hold" does that mean going to jail and car towed in CA?

Thank you!

Default Re: Cannot Renew Dl Without Paying Fines.cannot Afford Fines. What Can I Do (Ca)

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    Can I call the courthouses and get a payment plan?
    Can't imagine why you wouldn't be capable of picking up the phone, dialing the number, and asking for a payment plan. No way to predict whether you'll get it or not.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    Is there any way to get the fines reduced?
    Probably not. You've dug yourself a pretty deep hole.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    If I drive with my license expired and probably on "hold" does that mean going to jail and car towed in CA?
    There is certainly that risk.

Default Re: Cannot Renew License Due to Unpaid Fines that I Can't Afford to Pay

You have lost the privilege to drive in the State of California. If you cannot be a responsible driver - and that means paying your fines as ordered, then you should not drive.

You might be able to get a payment plan, but you'd have to appear in court to ask. Until then I suggest you get a ride or take a bus.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Can't imagine why you wouldn't be capable of picking up the phone, dialing the number, and asking for a payment plan. No way to predict whether you'll get it or not.
    Courts in L A County have suspended phone service years ago. Any traffic related matters must be handled either in person or by mail.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    Can I call the courthouses and get a payment plan?
    You can ask for a payment plan. But you'll have to go to court to get that accomplished.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    You can ask for a fine reduction but that too will have to be done in person.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    cant really afford to go back (I have a rescheduled court date on 7/30) and try to get them reduced either.
    You're not going to get the court to come to you. So the way I look at it is, if you need your license, you cannot afford not to go. If you decide you are not going to appear on 7/30, then it is in your best interest to contact the court by mail to cancel those appearances. Otherwise you're forcing the court to give zero breaks the third time you might want to appear.

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    You can request a fine reduction but again, you will have to appear in person to do so!

Quote Quoting cdanna
    View Post
    You license *IS* suspended, if not because of one failure to appear, it is for the other... Driving while suspended is a misdemeanor charge. Yes that can technically get you some jail time, but it will also include some monetary fines, and it appears you are in over your head with monetary fines.

Sell the car to pay the fines. You can't afford it anyway.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed an entire village. Give a man a fish, the village starts demanding free fish. Then they have three children who all start families and demand free fish as their right.

1. Sponsored Links